cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,045 REPLIES 2,045

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot decided to share my cereal this morning. I eat it dry, and he heard the crunchy sound, so he came to inspect. I let him smell a piece, and he promptly ate it. He ate four pieces before deciding he'd had enough, then he moved to the window bench and took a long nap. He's getting more inclined to inspect and taste things other than cat food, although he still much prefers the cat food. Nothing he's tasted so far has become more than a once or twice thing.

That's good. It's enough that Alex wants to share people food...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Some of the bucks still have their antlers. The real big one with the trophy rack was just outside our fence yesterday, staring at Spot, who was staring right back and slowly creeping forward toward the fence. The fog was still burning off, and the junipers and tall grass looked like smoke was drifting up, which lent a spooky quality to their interaction.

Then I sneezed and they both dashed in opposite directions... Drat.

Today's another gloriously beautiful day, in the 70s already. I do love "winter" in the Texas Hill Country. Grasses are greening up, breezes are warm, boaters are out on the lake, and more and more birds are singing. We even have a possibility of more rain in the forecast (fingers crossed).

It's too pretty to stay inside. Think we'll go trim a live oak. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
RTompkins3 wrote:
He looks like he's reading the Kindle :).

He does take a close look at everything he thinks is new. Today he just had to explore the HVAC repairman's van. Luckily, we saw him in it and got him out before the repairman was finished.

He and Alex did a lot of dashing in and out today, since it was warm enough to open the door and let the place air out.

Mama Doe and all three fawns smelled banana peels and came right up. I also tossed a few carrots out there. One carrot end was big enough that the single fawn took a good ten minutes of gnawing and worrying it before it finally got it down to bite sized pieces. Was very interesting to watch.

WLToo has named the fawns: the big, brave twin is Han, the smaller, timid one is Spooky, and last year's fawn is Solo. He was the one who said he wasn't going to name anyone except Mama Doe..... The twins have lost their bumps and have velvet now, so we should be seeing bare-headed bucks soon.

We heard a variety of bird song today, but couldn't see anyone. Must have been inside the junipers, singing because they were happy that it actually rained a little.

'Course, by this afternoon, the air was crackling dry again, but at least the dust was out of the air for a little while.

Tomorrow's supposed to be in the high 70s. Looking forward to another day with the house open to the breeze.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
He looks like he's reading the Kindle :).
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
What a nice photo!

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot's really getting into the art of sitting on his humans. He joined WLToo for some pettins.

Czarny, black cat

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting that about "Keyhole" gardening, very interesting reading.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Mama Doe and four fawns strolled up this morning. The extra one is the one we've dubbed Orphan Fawn, whose mother has never really stayed around it much, letting Mama Doe care for it. Mama and last year's fawn came right to us for a tossed carrot, while the others walked on by. Even Orphan is not too spooky around us now, although it and the twins still won't come near. Since the twins are bucks, that's a good thing...

Speaking of bucks, a really nice trophy rack buck is living across the street. He's quite safe here; no hunting--except for the folks who hunt for the shed antlers starting this month. I think he's the buck who eats out of my neighbor's hand, the neighbor who gets jostled by the herd each morning when she feeds them. I worry a bit about her, letting them surround her like that, but apparently she's been doing it for 25 years and hasn't been hurt yet. Still, I'm not letting anyone get within hoof range, no matter how unafraid they become.

Spot and Alex are in their nap modes this morning. It's a little too cool and breezy for them outside.

Time to haul the kitchen scraps out to the "compost" pile. We had white asparagus soup (Spargelsuppe) yesterday, so it will be interesting to see if anyone eats the peels. Next up: papaya and mango.

We're working on our garden design. I'm much in favor of keyhole gardening, which was imported from Africa to Texas recently. If I can convince WLToo that it's the best use of the little water we get, all the kitchen scraps will go into a composting tube right in the middle of each 6' diameter circle. While the critters won't get the scraps anymore, we'll have some right nice, no fuss no bother vegetables and fruit patches to share.

Keyhole gardening

'Course, we'll have to put up a fence, with rosemary bushes at each corner, to keep the deer from ravaging it, but it will be worth it.

Lunch time. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure what's going on, but neither cat has stayed outside for more than five minutes today, before really, really wanting back inside. It's fairly warm and breezy, no sign of other critters, but they're both seriously spooked.

Just one of those days, I guess.

We put up the hummingbird feeder after seeing a couple of them passing by, but no sign of any birds taking up residence yet. Well, when they do, we're already ready for them.

While I was gone, WLToo said a couple of barn swallows came by and tested all the existing nests. Guess they went back to report in...

Mama Doe appears to have tossed all the fawns out of our meadow. We only see her and an occasional visiting doe now, while the fawns walk along our fence on the outside. We've had just enough moisture to bring up the meadow grass, so she's not coming up to the house much. That, and the fact that we didn't offer any handouts, may be why no one's around much for us to watch. Sigh.

I see by his head bumping that Alex wants attention. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
You've described Spot, Sue Bee. He's not at all a lap cat, but he does like to nuzzle, so he'll sit on the table next to me, or the arm of the sofa next to WLToo. If he's really feeling affectionate, he'll plop himself on my chest - all 15 pounds of him. Luckily, that's rare.

Ever since we moved my glider rocker into the living room, he naps there, plays there, and keeps and eye on both of us. Very happy to be in the room and comfy.

Alex, on the other hand, is pure lap (and chest) kitty.

Czarny, black cat

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
That is the sweetest picture. It's like he wants to cuddle, and respect your space all at the same time.

Our last cat liked to be by his people, but he wasn't much of a lap cat. If I sat in a chair, he would get next to me, or lay on my feet, like a dog, but it was rare that he would get on a lap. He was super friendly and social, but just wanted to be around his people.

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Such a beautiful kitty and a very happy one from the looks of it!

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot did it again, and WLToo got a photo.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful welcome home Spot gave you!

I hope your Mom is doing well.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I'm back. WLToo told me that Spot spent several days looking for me. When I got home yesterday, he was on his tree, just looking at me. I scratched his head, and a few minutes later, he wound himself around my legs, but didn't seem to be anything but normal.

Alex was happy to see me like always, but as we ate supper, Spot played with Alex just energetically enough to make Alex go to his "don't bother me" bed. So there I was, sitting on my recliner with no Alex on my lap. Spot laid down on the chair side table, put his head on my shoulder, and purred like a diesel. He stayed there for about a half hour, rubbing his head on my shoulder, sticking his nose in my armpit, and patting my chest with one paw.

I'm thinking he was happy I'm home...

Czarny, black cat