cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,045 REPLIES 2,045

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
A scarlet tanager just clung to one of our porch pillars and stared at us for a while. Why is a yellow green bird called a "scarlet" tanager?

The Commemorative Air Force is flying today. A P-39 Aircobra and a B-25 Mitchell flew over the house and circled the lake. I do wish we had a high quality camera with super zoom, so we can get photos of them flying over the house. Sigh, something else to save up for...

We have at least four baby barn swallows. WLToo saw their little heads just a few minutes ago. Hope we get more soon; we're having all sorts of flying insects this spring.

Spot is turning into a grass burr magnet. Each time he comes back inside, he plucks grass burrs off his fur and tosses them on the floor. He doesn't do so well getting them off his tail, though, so I do it with the Furminator. He and Alex both hate having their tails messed with, so I have to sneak up on him.

Sigh. Have to spray again. Pity there's not an insect or herbivore that relishes grass burrs. I wonder if grass burrs would make a good ethanol base? That and Johnson grass would be some serious reusuable energy...

It's time for a swim. Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
It appears that Mama Doe is allowing all the fawns inside again. With Little Orphan Fawnie, that's five deer in the meadow.

The territorial hummingbird just allowed another of about the same size to eat from the feeder without a fuss, so I guess they're mates. Looking forward to new hummingbirds soon. WLToo ran the video camera for about 90 minutes the other day, so we should be able to identify the hummers who showed up -- as soon as he finds the cable so we can hook the camera up to the TV.

Alex has been driving us crazy, demanding food, then eating too fast, then throwing up, then demanding food, etc. So we put them on a 3 times per day gooshy food schedule. Calmed him right down. I guess he's not able or willing to eat the dry food anymore, and 3 oz per day of gooshy food was not enough. So he gets 4.5 oz of his own, and whatever else of Spot's that Spot didn't eat.

Spot's still figuring out the change; he knows when breakfast and lunchtime treats were, and now a meal instead of treats has him a little puzzled. He's never been fussy about supper, but he does know to come in before 10:00 pm to get evening treats.

I see the pool is up to 83.5 degrees. Time for a swim. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot appears to have decided sleeping up against my side is a good thing. Yesterday, he was stretched out by my side, and Alex decided I needed to wake up, so he started pawing me. Spot stood up, planted his front feet on my chest, and glared at Alex. Alex promptly laid down, and Spot moved back to his place. I slept a bit longer.

This morning, WLToo fed the boys while I was still deeply asleep. When I woke up, both cats had trapped me under the covers. I had to wiggle out from under the covers while they both insisted on staying right where they were. Spot stayed on the bed most of the morning. I guess he's figured out that he's welcome there.

Today was very long, so I'm headed to bed. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
It's been so cool at night the last few days, that we've actually had to wear sweatpants in the morning, instead of our normal shorts. Even had to close the windows because the cool winds were making Alex very uncomfortable. Poor little guy couldn't roll up into a tight enough ball on my lap.

Today's warming up nicely, though, and he's sleeping peacefully in the spare bedroom, where it's warm.

I woke up this morning with Spot curled up against my leg. He didn't want to move, so each time I did, he swatted me. When WLToo finally got up to feed them, Spot left and I could wiggle out of the covers.

I had my nuclear stress test yesterday. Other than the IV insertion into my bitty little vein, the only stress was holding my arms over my head for 15-20 minutes twice while lying down, so the gamma camera could do its thing. The treadmill was not an issue; took until the last two minutes to reach the target heart rate, then my heart rate dropped right back to normal within two minutes of stopping. I'm in a lot better cardio shape than I thought, thanks to the swimming pool. I do have to avoid small children and pregnant women for a couple of days, though I don't glow in the dark...

A number of butterflies have found the hummingbird feeder. It's kinda funny to watch a hummingbird hover and get all frustrated at the butterflies, but they can't communicate, so the butterfly drinks until it's full, while the hummer loudly complains.

WLToo said he was kept awake last night by mockingbirds chirping away. Not sure what got them up and yakking all night, but each time he woke up, they were at it.

Mama Doe strolled past the south porch yesterday. She's getting anti-social, so she must be nearing birthing time. Meanwhile, Little Orphan Fawnnie is back in the meadow, sans mama as usual, and Mama Doe doesn't seem to mind her being here, while she's keeping her own outside. Solo is just about the same size as the twins. They all still walk the fence line to keep her in sight. We're assuming that Little Orphan Fawnnie is a doe, and that's why Mama Doe doesn't mind her in the meadow.

Time to do something around here. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
It's good to hear all is well with you and your little furry buddies.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
The boys spent most of today inside. It's really windy, which they don't like, plus we were gone several hours, working at our Harley Owners Group pig roast. Now that we're home, they're sleeping on my chair arm or in the rocker. Guess it's just one of those days.

WLToo is working on setting up a motion sensor camera by the hummingbird feeder, so we can actually document the types and numbers who feed there. Then we can actually see the colors and participate in the Texas Hummingbird Survey.

Hope all of you in the storm line stay safe.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Turned out the pool filter was past its useful life, and the pressure therein caused the shrieking. New filter, all is well. We also learned more about the pool equipment that wasn't in the instruction books. Nothing like learning something before a repair is necessary.

I believe Alex has found something rather nasty to roll in. I picked him up this morning, and shortly after found a huge rash developing on both arms. We don't have poison ivy around here, so no telling what it is, but I washed my arms really well and while the rash is still there, it's not itching. 'Course, now I have the itchies everywhere else -- psychological reaction -- there's nothing actually there. Sheesh.

Spot followed the pool vacuum again, moving along the pool edge as it wandered up and down. He finally decided to go off on patrol after watching it closely for about fifteen minutes. Good thing: the vacuum runs for two hours, and he'd have been exhausted by then. He's "patrolling" the south porch right now, in a rocking chair.

The barn swallow gossip fest is in full cry. They come back to the nests and yak 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I join in, and they talk back (I'm sure it's not nice).

Just sitting here, waiting on the plumber to come fix one of the outdoor lawn hydrants. Seems to be clogged and has little pressure. Naturally, it's the one we use to refill the pool. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Had family here for Easter. Alex hid under the pool ledge. Spot went on extended patrols, then realized our nephew was here, the one he likes so much, so he had some quality kitty time with nephew.

Was a lovely, quiet day, right up until the shrieks began. Horrible, grinding, fire alarm loud shrieks. It was the pool pumping equipment again. It's running on low, but on high sounds like it's trying to tear itself apart. I don't think this will be a cheap fix. Good thing we got the pool cleaner when we did. At least we can keep the pool clean while waiting on whatever parts the repairman will need.

This morning I heard our neighbor clapping her hands and calling the deer to come for their morning fruit and veggies. Mama Doe immediately jumped the fence, leaving two young deer in our meadow--one I'm sure is Solo, but the other? Don't know for sure. Even though the gate is open, they couldn't figure out how to get out, and kept running up and down the fence line, never quite getting down to the gate. So they missed out on neighbor's morning treat.

We only have six barn swallows nesting, and they're not eating near enough bugs. Having to keep the door closed to keep the mosquitoes out. I sure hope they all have huge broods -- the more barn swallows, the fewer mosquitoes.

Time to go spray the yard for grass burrs -- they're nastily prolific right now. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Just_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever stop posting, I'm gonna sell my computer....:B:B:B
04 Monaco Signature
A 45' Monster with a DD 60 series 515 HP
Towing a Jeep Commander with a "Hemi"

DAM STALE DONUTS

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Today, we're all sitting by the pool, watching the new pool cleaner do its thing. It climbs up the wall, stops right past the waterline, then slowly goes back down, sucking up all the dust and leaves. In a couple hours, no more dust on the bottom; just in a bag for us to clean out.

Spot is following it as it goes from one side to another. Alex looked once, but is more interested in a nap. Of course, us humans are fascinated -- it's more fun than watching the breadmaker....:B

WLToo got buzzed by a hummingbird a few minutes ago, and we realized it wanted us to refill the feeder. He hardly got it hung before two were right there.

Cardiologist was very happy with my heart, but because I've never had one, scheduled me for a stress test later this month.

WLToo woke up this morning to a chorus of deer snorts. Not sure why they're so snorty lately, but it's making Alex very nervous. Snorting deer scare the fur right off him -- he's traumatized by having had several of those huge rat things chase him when we first got here.

Time to go back out and watch the pool cleaner. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Today was the first day I could swim. WLToo did not join me, as the pool temp was 79, and he thinks that's too cold. Since I give off about 15000 btu normally, it felt wonderful.

But not content with merely swimming laps, I had my first weight training session this afternoon. Well, first in too many years. I'll be doing weight training three times per week and swimming every day, so by the end of the summer, I fully expect to look and feel considerably better... I'll mention the workouts to the cardiologist tomorrow, in case he has any concerns, but I doubt he will. I found out I was a whole lot stronger than I thought, so I should be into some heavier weights very soon. Probably never gonna be a six-pack again, but at least I'll stop being a keg...:E

Spot is sitting by the juniper next to the pool deck. He's been trying to get a mockingbird that lands there and taunts him. But the first few months we had him, Spot ran straight off the deck, trying to get a bird in the tree, so he's not repeating that 6' drop again.

One of last year's hummingbirds is here. Flew directly to where the feeder was last year, looked around, saw it in the new location, and seems happy with it.

Mama Doe joined us for an evening snack. We ate the bananas, she ate the peels.

I'm feeling some muscles right now -- time for a cool water treatment... Back to the pool!

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We also provide easy food, clean water, and warm places to sleep. Cats are very smart; they know a good deal.

Today's a bit gray, with thunderstorms possible. Alex and Spot are sleeping on the north porch, where they can watch and chitter at the barn swallows and the two hummingbirds who visit the feeder.

Learned another lesson this morning: don't take the medications first, and then eat, but do the reverse. Very queasy right now. Bleah.

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's easy to understand why dogs chose to associate with humans but, as for cats, I believe it's because we provide them with easy entertainment.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Last night, we heard Spot bouncing all around the house, obviously playing with something. He finally bopped it into the big room, and it was a giant red-headed centipede, about 3" long. Creepy buggers. Unfortunately, it got away from him, right around my favorite chair.

After losing the centipede, Spot found and started playing with a spider. When the spider started running toward Spot, I smacked it with the ol' flip flop of doom. Then I saw another spider beside my chair, and WLToo did the same. Unfortunately, it was a momma spider, with a snootful of babies riding on top. WLToo goes smack, babies go everywhere. Now picture two humans in flip flops, doing a Fred Astaire tap dance wherever we see movement.

Spot gave up and went to bed in his chair. I sat on the other side of the room the rest of the evening...

No sign of more baby spiders or the centipede this morning. The Roomba swept up the remains, and WLToo got out the whole house bug repellent and sprayed every opening. Luckily, we've not yet seen a scorpion, although they're out -- a friend found six dead ones in her house already, having died due to six cats who really like to play with them. She dispatched a seventh with her flip flop (the standard footwear around here).

The pool's uncovered, clean, and in the mid-70s. Two and a half days and a wake up, and I'm in the pool!

Mama Doe has run everyone out of the meadow, even Solo. She still doesn't look pregnant, but since she normally drops fawn(s) in late May or early June, she's got time to grow. The meadow is filled with wildflowers and assorted other deer delights, so while she still comes to the house, she's not staring into the windows and making it clear she really, really wants a handout.

Time to get back outside and clear more Mexican hat dead stalks. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I was scheduled to visit the heart doc this Friday, but he was badly injured in a wreck, so I'll visit one of his colleagues next week instead. I'm ok, myself.

Quiet morning. Had several rain showers, and it's still a touch foggy, but the birds are singing, and I just saw a yellow butterfly. We have antelope stew in the crockpot, and we'll have burritos for lunch (oh, it's lunchtime already!), so I made some pico de gallo to go with the frijoles.

Alex and Spot are still asleep, after their morning breakfast and patrol. Spot spent the whole night either between my calves, or up against one as I turned over. He was happy; I was hot. Alex slept in his usual spot between his two humans.

Past time for human lunch and kitty treats. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat