cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long a leash?

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Ok many CG's allow pets, great. Most if not all CG's state that pets in my case dog must be attached at all times, that I can understand as some people have no control over their dog.
So my question is when not walking with your dog but at the TT site how long of a leash/cord do you attach your dog with? Do CG's limit the length, is there a standard?

Thanks
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!
62 REPLIES 62

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
BTW I usually dont get too concerned with people and retractable leases. When they see me coming they start realing them in and lock until we pass. ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL!! Yes, SIR! Those of us with small dogs need to remember that they are merely "snack-sized".
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Wow 7 pages and counting.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
BTW I usually dont get too concerned with people and retractable leases. When they see me coming they start realing them in and lock until we pass. ๐Ÿ™‚
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
When tying out I use a 20 foot cable folded in half and both snaps hooked onto his collar. He can drag the picnic table but that cable isnt breaking. What you dont see it the extrta heaqvy woven collar. The choker chain just hold vac tags.

When walking I had a 4 foot leash for 9 years until it got to the point where he would shake his head and the snap would come off. Now I am stuck with a 6 foot leash cause it was the only one I felt was heavy enough to maintain control.

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
icanon wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
icanon wrote:
icanon wrote:
Please don't make this thread a Hot topic as I just wanted to know how long a leash when within a CG.
We specify a 6 foot leash. If the dog is on a leash, period, we see that as a win and don't quibble over the actual length. Got a lot better things to do than be leash-length police.

Excuse me! I not trying to be a 'leash police' my question was answered. I'm just simply stating we don't need to argue over a retractable leash.

I believe westernrvparkowner was simply trying to address your question as you asked as it applies to his park.

His comment about being a leash police was that HIS STAFF won't be chasing you around the park with a measuring tape - NOT that he thinks YOU are being a leash police.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a personal attack, sorry westernrvparkowner
When I attack someone personally, they will know it!!:B

Glad it ain't me your attacking otherwise I'd put you on a leash and not the retractable one, hahaha I'm joking.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
icanon wrote:
icanon wrote:
Please don't make this thread a Hot topic as I just wanted to know how long a leash when within a CG.
We specify a 6 foot leash. If the dog is on a leash, period, we see that as a win and don't quibble over the actual length. Got a lot better things to do than be leash-length police.

Excuse me! I not trying to be a 'leash police' my question was answered. I'm just simply stating we don't need to argue over a retractable leash.

I believe westernrvparkowner was simply trying to address your question as you asked as it applies to his park.

His comment about being a leash police was that HIS STAFF won't be chasing you around the park with a measuring tape - NOT that he thinks YOU are being a leash police.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a personal attack, sorry westernrvparkowner
When I attack someone personally, they will know it!!:B

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
icanon wrote:
icanon wrote:

Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
icanon wrote:
icanon wrote:

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:

Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
For walking my younger dogs I prefer a 4' leather lead; sized to wrap around my waist when I take them off lead to work.

For my older, more trained dogs I prefer 4' of thin rope with a snap on one end; small enough to fit in my back pocket when I take them off to work.

For training young dogs I prefer 20' thin rope with a snap or flat cotton lead that they can drag.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
One other thing not mentioned is the possibility of injury due to the cord on the flexi. I've seen injuries to both people and dogs, rope burns ranging from minor to pretty serious. I "heard" of a finger being severed, but that could be one of those rumor type things, I have no personal knowledge....

X10!

When these things first came out and everyone ran to purchase one, we had 'numerous' dogs that had their show career ended from a flexi lead.

If you drop the handle which I see happen 'all' the time. That handle makes a racing bee line down the cord right into your dog.

We have seen many tendons severed on smaller dogs from a flexi lead incident. A personal friend of mine had a very promising dog in the top 10 and all in one moment of a dropped handle that then ran down the cord, severed the tendon on his dogs leg. ๐Ÿ˜ž

And I have witnessed serious injuries to owners hands and fingers.

They are banned at all dog shows and I am pleased to see them being banned at many CG's now.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Oaklevel wrote:
Forgot one other thing personally we recommend a harness instead of a collar. They can pull out of either but a harness is less likely to coke them.......
Your dog shouldn't need a collar or harness to say no to drugs;)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote: