cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling thru Canada with dog

shovelhead86
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going toAlaska in May and I need to know what papers my dog needs to cross into Canada. She has all shots as we a re park hosts in State parks that require it.
13 REPLIES 13

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
We take our cats back and forth several times a year. We have been asked a couple of times for their certificates -- all ours have is vaccination details. But it's worth having for the few times they ask.
We lost our dry food on one trip because we'd transferred it to plastic storage and discarded the original bags. Food products seem to be more of a problem going into the US.
David and Dayle

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
I do what Greyghost does. Never a problem.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we went to Canada, we had their rabies certs and as advised by our vet, a health certificate for each. I told our vet it wasn't required, but he said better to be safe and not have a trip ruined by one border crossing guard that decides to ask for it. As it turned out, we weren't asked to see either one. We were only asked if we had a rabies cert for each and that was it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Just the proof of rabies vaccination is all that is required to bring your dog for a visit to/thru Canada. Paper certificate, not the collar tag.

We've never been asked for a health certificate.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Having a health certificate from the vet is technically only good for 30 days, but having one is better than nothing. Every time we cross the border I hand the agent our passports and the dogs papers. We've never been asked for more documentation.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We had to provide rabies certificates the first time we crossed into Canada; but seemed to go into a database because were never asked again, despite multiple crossings either way. And yes - keep the packaging material for the pet food!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
On my Alaska trip last summer, I crossed the border many times, and was asked for the dog's rabies certificate by Canadian two times, but never questioned by the Americans.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
The CFIA website does not indicate a health cert is required.
Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs

Maybe not, but there are statements in various government sites that the pet must be in good health. & every single vet I've had since 1978 has recommended that I have a statement of good health signed by a vet. Such a thing is easily added to what is done at an annual check up.

It is true that US Border guards ask about the dogs more often and are more likely to ask to see pet food when there are any sources of flu in animal sources of protein. Keep your original pet food container.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to U.S. Customs and Boarder Protection site

Clicky

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The CFIA website does not indicate a health cert is required.
Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Technically, you need a health certificate from a vet, practically, the only thing they ever ask to see is a rabies certificate, and usually not even that.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
We've crossed into Canada many times - into Alberta this past summer. We've never been asked for papers on out dogs going into Canada.

Coming back into the US is another story. We are almost always been asked for the dogs shot recored, In particular, they want to see the rabies shot records.

Although we use to get a health certificate, their short records is all we carry, now.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we were asked for rabies certs for all our dogs when crossing the US & CDN border; only other thing we were asked about the dogs was their names (while officer was looking at certs).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M