cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to keep cat out of the mechanism in our FW's bed

adVentureMan
Explorer
Explorer
Our FW has a bedroom slide. There is easy access to the mechanism used to active the slide under that bed. We are concerned our inquisitive cat will decide to explore under there, or perhaps even hide there. Our 2 year old cat has never been in the RV, but seems to adapt well to other new things in her life, at least around the house.

I am looking for suggestions of how to block access to that under bed area. I don't think just shoving a bunch of pillows there will help, as she is loves to dig around the pillows we have pilled on our bed at home. Any suggestions how to keep her out of that area?

Thanks.:)

Doug
Doug and Kathy
2008 Chevy 2500HD extended cab Duramax/Allison 4WD
2013 Cougar 327RES
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need RV Checklists?
6 REPLIES 6

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
Lol...what we do for our cat!!!! And our dog !!! They are our traveling kids...ha ha...My Lily is a tiger tabby......she's not overly fond of the trip to and from but loves the RV when it's parked...we have a new MH we are taking out soon on a shakedown overnight trip...it has a huge dashboard and window...she's going to love it

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
Impkitti wrote:
GypsySeniors wrote:
We had that exact problem with our previous MH...our cat Lily is very much the explorer...she would get under that slide and we had a devil of a time getting her out...it was a pain but we did actually stuff pillows in both ends to keep her out...it worked even though she tried to get in...really have to wedge the pillows in...of course remember to lock the cats up when you pull the pillows out to bring your slide in...we forgot to lock her up one time when we were packing up ready to go and she flew in there...delayed our departure trying to get her out.Good Luck...

This is too funny! Our cat Lili did the same thing and our solution was the same. I made custom pillows to fit the spaces. Lili stays in the carrier until both slides are deployed and the pillow blocks are in place in the bedroom. We also have a pillow block that fits under the bedroom door during rest stops to keep her out of the bedroom.

Is your Lilly a Siamese?

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
GypsySeniors wrote:
We had that exact problem with our previous MH...our cat Lily is very much the explorer...she would get under that slide and we had a devil of a time getting her out...it was a pain but we did actually stuff pillows in both ends to keep her out...it worked even though she tried to get in...really have to wedge the pillows in...of course remember to lock the cats up when you pull the pillows out to bring your slide in...we forgot to lock her up one time when we were packing up ready to go and she flew in there...delayed our departure trying to get her out.Good Luck...

This is too funny! Our cat Lili did the same thing and our solution was the same. I made custom pillows to fit the spaces. Lili stays in the carrier until both slides are deployed and the pillow blocks are in place in the bedroom. We also have a pillow block that fits under the bedroom door during rest stops to keep her out of the bedroom.

Is your Lilly a Siamese?
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Mint oil, lavender oil, lemon oil, eucalyptus oil, menthol, and things like that will repel cats. I listed them in ascending order of powefulness.

If the pure oils aren't easy to find where you are, try some lemon eucalyptus based mosquito spray! Easy to apply, and useful to have when camping :).

Many cats like the challenge of trying to get into a place you are trying to keep them out of. Make the place unappealing to them instead.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not familiar with your RV/bedroom slide.......

Our bedroom slide is fully boxed (storage under bed/mechanism under storage area) with only 1'2" or less clearance between floor an boxed frame.

What ever is 'open' for easy access to mechanism.....why not just close up using a thin panel attached with screws.
Not like you need easy access until you have to work on mechanism.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer