cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's that time of year!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I stepped out of the back door this morning on my way to work and heard the sound of a lamb calling to its mom. My wife texted me saying the ewe had not delivered her second lamb yet; so the cries I heard were from a new born.

We bred about 60 ewes.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
135 REPLIES 135

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
What a great shot!!

I was wondering how big those lambs in the March 6 photo have gotten. Thank you for showing us.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Mom makes a good pillow.

Now that we got our lamb ear tags we spent several hrs tagging all the lambs.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about checking with a dairy farmer about getting a couple gallons of colostrum throughout the fall and winter and keeping it in the freezer for lambing season. My old neighbor used to keep some from milking her Jersey cows and would use it in the spring for her lambs that she had to bottle feed. Gave them the immune protection as if they were on their mother.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
3 sets of twins and a set of triplets were found this morning and we had to figure out which ewes were the moms for 4 of the lambs. All the sheep were loose in the barn yard. One of the twins had died likely soon after birth. There is one of a set of triplets born earlier this week that is sick; we treated it but it's still getting weaker.

8 sets of triplets
22 sets of twin
8 singles
6 died at birth or within a week
1 ewe and her twins died due to birthing issues
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Found a well cared for new set of twins this morning. Also found the heat lamp bulb had been smashed, second day in a row, by a penned ewe with two very small lambs. I need to build protection around the heat lamp.

7 sets of triplets
19 sets of twins
8 singles
5 died or stillborn
1 ewe and her 2 lambs died due to birthing complications
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
A new single born after I left.
A new set of triplets.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Another single tonight

There was a new set of twins this morning and one from the last set of triplets had died overnight (did not see this coming)

6 sets of triplets
18 sets of twins
7 singles
5 died or stillborn
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I LOVE that picture of Sam and the babies!!!!!!!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Another single
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I was updated by the shepherdess (my wife), 2 new sets of twins and a single. One of the moms with twins is only counting to 1 (ignoring her other lamb).

The bottle lamb looked a little better after tube feeding in the morning and the lamb got tube fed again around lunch time.

The bottle lamb died this afternoon.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
That dog is the coolest!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
On the job......
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The bottle lamb took some milk during the day yesterday but by evening she was not doing well. It appears she has a respiratory illness do I gave her a shot of long lasting antibiotics. She made it through the night but was not interested in the bottle.

I found a new set of twins this morning.

6 sets of triplets
15 sets of twins
4 singles
3 died or stillborn
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The bottle lamb fed some mid day but wouldn't take more just now.
2 sets of twins were born during the day with one still born.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
During this morning's check and bottle feeding I found a new set of twins and a first time mom in labor.

The triplet bottle lamb was weak and not all there mentally; she was not cold and did not take the bottle. I gave her some sugar/vitamin supplement and moved her to a dryer location. I didn't notice anything (i.e. the runs, fluid in her lungs, etc) to suggest why she was not doing well. She did not get colostrum from her mom; we did vaccinate her right away to help her immune system.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M