cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new cat issue

sharrlan
Explorer
Explorer
Since I got help here for my cat, thought I would ask about my mom's cat.

Before anybody says anything, NO, I am not getting rid of the cat.

Mom's cat is about 18. He's never used a litter box, even though she tried. The cat has always preferred to use the flower beds to do his business. About two months ago, he started pooping in the garage on the floor. I've tried setting up a litter box, but he won't use it.

Any suggestions on how to get him to stop? Is there anything I can spray that's not noxious?
6 REPLIES 6

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
dahkota wrote:
get a litter box and put the same thing in it that the flowerbeds have.

I agree - making sure there's some dirt in that box - and then maybe add a piece of his poo from the flowerbed, so it signals "This is where I go potty". I'll bet if you start with dirt, and keep adding kitty litter, increasing the ratio - you can convince him that litter is OK to potty in, too?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 18 he's probably suffering from Old Age. We had a Domestic Longhair that lived to about that age. She got to the point that she had trouble controlling her bodily functions, I.E., would actually poop in her bed while asleep, stopped grooming herself, couldn't jump, lost her hearing, and not sure about her eye sight. So no matter how hard it was we decided the best thing for her was to put her down. It's a tough thing to do, but there is such a thing as Quality of Life for our Fur Kids Too.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
get a litter box and put the same thing in it that the flowerbeds have.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder about arthritis or constipation here, or loose stools/ discomfort, or some combination of the above.

A visit to the vet would be a good idea but also what are his stools like?

There are herbs you can use in the litter box to attract a.cat to dig and go. But as with the peeing, physical discomfort needs to be addressed first.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
I have several dogs and over the years have bought some of the dog beds that contain redwood chips. I have had to throw all of them out. My cat likes the redwood beds better than the litter box. You might buy some redwood landscaping chips and try some of them in the litter box with the litter. If it doesn't work you will only be out the cost of the redwood chips.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 18 yrs. old he is gong to poop just about anywhere he decides.
Just be glad it's on the garage floor

Clean up......bleach
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31