cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schoep has died

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
I've been following this story of Schoep & John Unger.

"John Unger and his elderly dog, Schoep, became Internet celebrities last summer because of Bayfield, Wis., photographer Hannah Hudson's photograph of the pair in the waters of Lake Superior. Unger took Schoep into the lake regularly to ease the discomfort of the dog's arthritis.

People from Texas to Japan to Slovakia gave money to help pay Schoep's veterinary bills, medications and laser treatments. It gave the faithful companions another year together.

Schoep turned 20 on June 15. He died 26 days later. On Thursday, a photo of a paw print in the sand was posted on the Official Fan Page of Schoep and John on Facebook. The caption read:

I Breathe But I Can't Catch My Breath ...
Schoep passed yesterday
more information in the days ahead

Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250
9 REPLIES 9

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
R.I.P. Schoep, what a story!!! *sigh

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
That is a picture of perfect love. We are so lucky if we've ever known it, even once. Oh, how John will miss that old dog.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
This whole story has choked everyone up for well over a year. I think it's wonderful that so many donated to a fund so he was able to help his pup with the drugs to ease his pain and improve his quality of life.
Who among us would not just love to have 20 years with our pets, I know I sure would, so in that respect he was very blessed to have had him so long...one lucky dude.
RIP Schoep

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a heart tug. 20 y.o. is remarkable.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
This story helped renew our faith in mankind......I was sorry to hear Schoep died, too.....and I feel for John......RIP Schoep and prayers for your healing, John
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the Tom T song says only thing worth living for is "Old Dogs, Children, and Watermellon wine"... Gotta love the old dogs...

Schoep certainly looks at peace in the water in the arms of his companion John.. I am so glad they got to be together another year. Of course they will "ALWAYS be together in their spirits...

Roy Ken
Son of Otis and Elva Agnes BRADDY from Southern Illinois.
We have communicated before...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
R.I.P. Schoep....
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
That brought tears to my eyes - the story of Schoep and John is a story of true love.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Rest in Peace Schoep........
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.