cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shop vac for dog hair

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a "wet/dry" shop vac to help comb the fur of our Rottie. I first tried vacuuming during a bath thinking the hair would be lubricated and sucked off during the rinse. It didn't work well enough to make the mess worthwhile. I now use a Furminator and the dry vac with the utility brush. It's stiff bristles pull out the dead hair and keep from grabbing the skin. I tried it without the bristles and she let me know pretty quick she didn't like that. The Furminator pulls the hair loose and the vacuum sucks it up. No hair sticking to everything. It was always a pain to clear the Furminator because the hair stuck to our hands and the rest floated to where ever. She likes the treatment too. I just emptied the full tub. The vac is a Six Gallon Vacmaster with a three H.P. motor bought from Amazon for $50.00. With all the hair I get from her and the hair the Dyson gets out of the carpet it's a wonder she's not bald. It's shinny and healthy looking so I guess it's the nature of the breed. 🙂
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500
5 REPLIES 5

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
I'd love to do that with our cats, but unless that vacuum is very, very quiet, they'd never tolerate it. Sigh.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
They DO make currycomb attachments for vacuums - you have to look in horse grooming supplies

Currycombs
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ghaindle
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I vacuum it looks like I sucked one of the dogs up in the canister and I vacuum often.
2008 Fun Finder 18FBS
2011 F150 EcoBoost w/3:55

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
With all the hair I get from her and the hair the Dyson gets out of the carpet it's a wonder she's not bald. It's shinny and healthy looking so I guess it's the nature of the breed.

I read an article about a year ago in which the owner of a cat saved the fur and spun it into yarn. She then knits with it. :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to try it with our Chihuahua. She probably produces as much hair as your Rottie. 😞