cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Teaching a dog to "talk"

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard dogs "talk". Granted, they're repeating a sound or string of sounds that sounds almost intelligible - but the point is, it's "said" in the proper context.

The best one was Rocky (RIP), my neighbor's malamute. He would say "I love you" (Rye Ruv Roo) to anyone who would give him some attention for it. One day, he was in the house while his owners were gone, which he HATED. I was watering shrubs on that side of my house, and could hear Rocky at the window, professing his undying love for me....LOL! until I finally yelled back "I love you too, Rocky - but I'm NOT letting you out!" He knew what I said - there was nothing but silence after that.

My dear sweet Ike (RIP) was quite the talker, having been raised next door to Rocky....LOL! His one word (but it was handy) was "wah" - I'm rather positive he was saying he "wah"nted something, because I could ask "what do you wahnt?" and he would take me to the empty food dish, or stuck toy, or whatever...

Now Ben is showing signs of being a talker. I've been working with him to polish up "owf", which is Ben-speak for OUT. Last night he walked up to me, and in his most respectful voice, simply said "owf" and then walked to the door. This will be crazy-handy for those times when we're someplace he either doesn't know which door to sit by; or in the RV going down the road and he needs to potty....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
16 REPLIES 16

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Very, very interesting.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
What smart doggies! Great that you're able to teach them almost human verbal language. Never tried it with any of my dogs - horse just puts her big head on my chest and mugs for whatever is in my pockets. Not even a neigh!

Rita