cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

110v and 220v

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to make my FW able to be used with both 110V for here in the states and have a transfer switch for running of 220V in Australia via a step down transformer? Is this possible or not?
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.
18 REPLIES 18

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another possible partial solution... I stress POSSIBLE.

If you have enough battery (Say 3 pair of GC-2) then a BIG converter say 100 amp or more (3 pair can accept 200 amps without issue, or 210 if you want to know the upper safe limit of charge) and a good size (2000-3000 watt) inverter to power Microwave, TV's (Which won't work Down under either) and such might do the job.

Make sure the converter is "Dual voltage" and plug in,, Some switching converters (modern ones are often of this type) can take as little as 80 volts to as much as 300 without damage, and do not care about 50/60 HZ either (Check teh specs) they can make 12vdc (well 13.6) fast enough to feed the 2KW inverter (that would take about 200 amps max) and it can run all the stuff I have to run on 120.. Water heater on propane. Fridge on propane (in fact unplug it) and make sure the converter is plug in so you can Unplug from the RV and feed it independent (mine can do that) Turn off the water heater as well (Turn off.. well turn off ALL the breakers in the MAIN breaker panel, leave only the inverter Sub Panel on.)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Using to cords was exactly what I had imagined leaving the 30A 110V for generator and hear in USA, and a Australian 15A 220v in Australia but they deleted the 110v, so if I understand this correctly have the 110V cord attached to output of transformer via a transfer switch ?
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with time2roll here, use two separate cords, tied in after the transformer with a transfer switch.

Having pulled 4 tours in Europe during my military years, 3 of them in England I don't find the switch from driving on the left side of the road to right side to be an issue. That said my only accident I've ever had was because I was driving too fast for a left had drive in a corner without a shoulder where the hedge didn't allow me see around the corner fast enough for the speed I was going, which was under twenty. I rear ended a stopped car, broke the headlight assembly for my car, and had to have one shipped from the states which took a while to get.

The 50hz thing might cause you some issues. As mentioned microwaves tend to have shorter life expectancies if designed for 60hz and run on 50. This also applies to most AC motors and any other inductive type devices. For the most part though, most of us GI types would get away with shipping and using our US appliances over there on transformers. I've also noticed many modern devices now have motors rated for 50/60 hz, and with electronics the power supply often works on either without having to use a transformer.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Slownsy wrote:
Yes we already have the FW and will ship to Australia. Have a dealer already installed the step down transformers, but he did not understand that I also wanted to be able to still use hear in USA and also use my us 3000is Honda generator. ? Solutions please.
Frank.
Two separate cords right?

If using the Honda just plug in the oem cord direct.

Output of the transformer is 120 volt so you can also plug the oem cord to the transformer output. Or install a common transfer switch as you would for an on-board generator.

Or do you expect to have a single cord and just use an adapter? Probably not going to happen.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Lived is Stralia a few yrs '67-'69 and we brought or bought a transformer, It plugged into the wall and had a 110v outlet. Simple plug and play.

Un hard wire your transformer and install a plug/outlet.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Yes we already have the FW and will ship to Australia.

Well as one who is married to an Australian and has been Downunder quite a few times and driven on the "wrong" side of the road I don't see the advantage ... but hey, what do I know? :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
Yes we already have the FW and will ship to Australia. Have a dealer already installed the step down transformers, but he did not understand that I also wanted to be able to still use hear in USA and also use my us 3000is Honda generator. ? Solutions please.
Frank.

Frank,

In that case, it is easy. Take lots of pictures and put the SD card somewhere safe. Disconnect the transformer an attach a service cable with a TT30 where it is. When you get to OZ, look at the pictures and put it back.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being not aware of your requirements but I think if I had this problem I would be looking into renting a motor home in Australia... Shipping transportation has got to be hugh for doing this... Kinda hard to drive to Australia unlike Mexico and South America... There is also all the headaches of license requirements for both the truck and 5th wheel trailer I would think...

Who knows about all of the being safe rules... i would probably loose my whole caravan the first night on the road haha... Being a rig setup from the states would for sure stand out in the crowd down under...

Of course we all have our dreams on things to do... I've been drooling for years over their off-road vehicles... They for sure have got all of that down pat... All too expensive for my pay grade...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Just curious. Are you seriously going to pay the cost of transport to get your 5th all the way from the US to Australia ... and then perhaps back again?

Yes I think this is a TOTALLY bad idea.

But people posting questions like this usually don't REALLY want practical advice, they just want help implementing their plan......no matter how ill-advised it might be.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it is.. HOWEVER.... EXPENSIVE and HEAVY YOU just need the proper transformer..

I would not suggest doing it via a switch however, Use a portable device you can plug in and then plug into That way when you do not need it you can leave it behidn or carry it with you, also the plug in is way way simpler than a switch wiring, and what's more the plugs are different so it doubles as an adapter.

But if you look up a Hughes Autoformer... The transformer will be AT LEAST that big and heavy, likely more so. but they do exist. If you need I may be able to link to one but I tried once in the past and finding one big enough is the issue.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
I am trying to make my FW able to be used with both 110V for here in the states and have a transfer switch for running of 220V in Australia via a step down transformer? Is this possible or not?

Just curious. Are you seriously going to pay the cost of transport to get your 5th all the way from the US to Australia ... and then perhaps back again? Wow! Once there your trailer will be "backward", as the entry door(s) will be on the wrong side of the trailer. And what are you going to tow with? - your own truck, built to US standards? Are you prepared to tow on the "wrong" side of the road, sitting in the "wrong" side of the truck?

Electrical standard in North America is 120 vac @ 60 Hs, in Australia it's 230 vac @ 50 Hz - and certainly a 50 Hz frequency would present some issues with a rig designed to run @ 60 Hz.

World Electrical Standards

Why bother? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MrWizard
NO transfer switch
purchase the correct step down conversion transformer, wired up with a 120v 30amp3 wire plug on the output side and Aus power line and male plug on the input side

you can mount the xformer in a bay of the 5th wheel, or in a weather proof box

just Plug in and use it

when you come back to the states, just store it away someplace

im not up on Aus elect code, i suggest you look into that subject
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Magnum will not convert 230 to 120 but will certainly make 120 as needed.
Just get the IOTAs to keep the battery up and you are good to go.