cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt battery

Drago
Explorer
Explorer
Back for more, question will a single 12 volt battery charge it's self if used to start a Oman 5000 genorater?
Thanks
"Life is to short get out there and live!"
17 REPLIES 17

Drago
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You very much for your reply sorry so late in my reply, but work comes first.. Thank you to all those who had open and understanding replies and those who had not so kind and almost condescending replies, please remember this is supposed to be a learning and teach forum at least I thought is was. A lot of us are maybe not so fortunate to have the wealth of knowledge that some others do, so please don't wrong us for asking a question however simple it might be to you, there are others that just don't know. Remember the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask..
Thank you again I now know what I have to do..:)
"Life is to short get out there and live!"

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Considering that the OP has never replied to his own post, I guess that we can assume that he never got the generator started, and ran down his battery(s).

Maybe the same for his lap-top.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
kimbo1 wrote:
I don't understand what he's asking???

Re-read my original reply, He ask the question very poorly.

For the person who does not know about the ONAN (but does the HONDA protables)

Forget the 12 volt jack on the hondas, I have used those for light bulbs and such but for battery charging,, Forget it.

ONAN generators come in several 'Flavors' some of them do have a battery recharge winding, the ones made for RV service do not, they rely on the house converter to recharge the batteries.

So had he said "Will the battery re-charge when using the generator" (the proper question) Then the answer is YES

The battery should charge when running the genny same as if you were plugged into shore power.. No difference, same charger.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE, That is a simple but as you showed, not a very good system. Always better to have a dedicated genny battery. Better still to have a battery switching settup where any battery bank can be used for any purpose, even combining banks.

Of course that would also need an owner who understands what is going on & how to use it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:

Do RVs with gennys typically not have their own starting battery?

Most commonly, not for the generator. There's the house battery, for everything 12V, and on a motorhome the chassis battery, for the main engine and general vehicle stuff. The house battery is charged when the generator is running via the usual 120V converter/charger. I think most common is having the generator started from the house battery, but the chassis battery is occasionally used.

If the house battery is too low to start the generator, it's a bit of a dance: you have to start the main vehicle engine (whose alternator is then connected to the house battery and house 12V system) and then start the generator.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is a perfect exanple of why a bi-directional automatic charging solenoid exists.

Stuff a dedicated battery in for generator starting, hook up an automatic charging solenoid and go have a beer.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must be missing something but doesn't the genny have an alternator to charge its starting battery?

I don't have an onboard genny in my trailer but I do have a genny onboard my boat. That genny has its own, independent, starting battery. That way even if the 'house' batterys are dead & the engine/s batterys are dead the genny can be started to charge them up.

Do RVs with gennys typically not have their own starting battery?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the diesel powered ONAN generators do have an alternator to provide 12v to re-charge it's dedicated starting battery,(or to provide 12V to keep the gen running), but the OP's 5K generator does not.

There are valid reasons for some RVs to employ a dedicated battery for the generator.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just test it already. Start the Onan and let it run for the test. Measure the battery voltage right on the terminals after 10 minutes. 13.2+ volts on the battery terminals is charging. Post the results for best answers. Depending on the level of charge and the charging system it could take 2 to 12 hours to get 90%+ charge on the battery.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
kimbo1 wrote:
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Drago wrote:
Back for more, question will a single 12 volt battery charge it's self if used to start a Oman 5000 genorater?
Thanks

:B It looks like the way you worded your question has people confused.

The one way for you to answer your own question is to get a multi-meter and read the voltage with the electrodes touching the "POS" and "NEG" posts of the battery before starting the generator. The reading should be around 12.6 to 12.7 volts for a good battery.

Now start the generator and test the battery again while the generator is running. The battery voltage should rise to 13.6 volts, or more, to show it is being charged while the generator is running.

Now if that original voltage of the battery (before starting the generator) is found to be 12.2 volts or lower when wanting to use the generator your battery is most likely getting old, or sulfated from insufficient charging. This could easily be the case if you are talking about a portable generator with a built-in battery for starting.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
I think the original poster is asking if the Onan will charge the start battery without any additional chargers attached to it. Sounds like they want to keep the Onan starting battery isolated from the house battery so that the generator will start when the house battery is dead.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The battery that starts the onan will be either the chassis batt or the house batt. If it is the chassis battery, it very likely will not get charged when the onan is running. On my previous class A Flair, the onan started from the chassis batt. On my existing Rexall, it starts from the house batt.
So to answer the question, maybe !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

kimbo1
Explorer
Explorer