cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v Refidgerators

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at new TTs and have found that quite a few have 12v only refriderators. Has anyone used these while boondocking? How long will they run on solar? I have 400w of solar panels and 2 100a Battleborn batteries.
35 REPLIES 35

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Alpincool 12 volt freezer/refrigerator that I have been running for two weeks straight with a single 50 watt panel and a single group 27 deep cycle battery. The compressor types, like the Alpincool are efficient. It is only 20 quart but plenty for me. It actually uses about the same as my larger Dometic on propane, thanks to the control overhead.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
KLYoung wrote:
I talked to a Forest River Regional Sales Rep. She says this is a Norcold N10DC. Norcold says on it's website that it draws 5.7 amps in Standard mode and 3.7 amps in night mode. So it looks like I could get 36 hours are so from my batteries without a recharge. That's pulling 75% out of my 2 BattleBorns. That's not very long if it's raining for a couple of days.
Thanks for the input, everyone.

KLYoung,

What is the duty cycle?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
If it's legitimately a 12v fridge, it's not to save money.
No, not this particular one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:

All things considered, electric refers aren't the best idea for dry camping, but RV makers do everything possible to save money.

If it's legitimately a 12v fridge, it's not to save money.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
KLYoung wrote:
I talked to a Forest River Regional Sales Rep. She says this is a Norcold N10DC.
Thanks.

I looked that up, darn difficult to find it's 12v, but we did it. It's a compressor.

Whew. What is night mode... it has a clock?

All things considered, electric refers aren't the best idea for dry camping, but RV makers do everything possible to save money.

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a Forest River Regional Sales Rep. She says this is a Norcold N10DC. Norcold says on it's website that it draws 5.7 amps in Standard mode and 3.7 amps in night mode. So it looks like I could get 36 hours are so from my batteries without a recharge. That's pulling 75% out of my 2 BattleBorns. That's not very long if it's raining for a couple of days.
Thanks for the input, everyone.

2oldman wrote:
KLYoung wrote:
I am looking at is a 2020 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS.
I looked at the specs for this unit. The 3d viewer shows a Norcold residential refer. Other than that, I don't know exactly what it is, but 'residential' usually means 120v.

That is exactly what they were calling the fridge in My daughters new TT.. a residential fridge.... its a 12V only fridge.. no idea where the residential part comes in???
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
KLYoung wrote:
I am looking at is a 2020 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS.
I looked at the specs for this unit. The 3d viewer shows a Norcold residential refer. Another site says it's 12v. So that's a new one on me. Residential means house, and nobody has a 12v refrigerator in a house.

Odd.

These sites have a text contact. You should do that. I would, but I'm not in the market and don't want a lot of ads coming my way.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if these 12V fridges have a Secop (Danfoss) style compressor? If so, boondocking with a couple hundred watts of solar is fairly realistic.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The advantage of the electric only refrigerators, be they 12 volt only, 120 volt, or one that works on either voltage, is that they in all probability will not be a gas absorption but rather be a compressor type. Therefore, level operation is not critical, they cool down very quickly, and do not suffer greatly when operating in extreme ambient temperatures.

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, valhalla360. I'll do some more research.

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
No it is 12v only. I don't know the make of the refridgerator. I beleive it is 10 cuft. The trailers I am looking at is a 2020 Surveyor Luxury 267RBSS. jorbill2or, I really wish LP was an option. Sometimes you can't count on sun everyday to replenish the batteries and you ina place that doesn't allow generators.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it's actually a 12v fridge (mostly made for marine installations), 400w solar should be able to handle it if you don't have other major draws. Boats generally don't have the option to use propane so they have put a lot of effort into getting these to run efficiently on 12v.

If you really meant 120v (household fridge), it's not so clear cut.

Either way, there should be a rated wattage draw while cooling and then you need to estimate the duty cycle. By multiplying out the wattage times the operating hours, you get an estimate of the watt-hrs used. Figure the 400w panels will put out about 1600 watt-hr per day but that presumes no shadows from trees or overcast. You can convert your battery bank to watt-hr by multiplying the amp-hr by 12v and assume 50% is usable without damaging the batteries.

If it's a household fridge, you can do the same but add another 10-20% because it needs to run thru an inverter to convert to 120v AC power. You could just buy a $20 killavolt meter which includes a kwh option. (It's good to have a voltage meter anyway so you can see at a glance if you have low voltage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"They will NOT dry camp at any time, so that type of fridge is fine. I am not sure how people who boondock would take to this?"

I'm sorry since they will be unable to camp in SO MANY beautiful spots. I'd never buy an RV that wasn't fully capable of boondocking for a week at least.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"How long will they run on solar?"

That's not the attitude! With an adequate solar system...batteries, panels and controller...every day the sun shines and without any generator use. Do any energy survey to determine what you need.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad