cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1994 Norcold Tek II Refrigerator noise and current draw

Shoalster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chance to buy one of these used but i read that it might have a noisy compressor. One owner said he had to turn it off at night because it was so noisy.
I'm wondering if this an inherent problem with this unit.
Also, I'm wondering how much current it draws on average. I tried to find info on the net but it's sketchy.
2 REPLIES 2

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Buying any refrigerator that has less than 2" of closed cell insulation is like fruitless. Noise can be controlled with texture foam and baffles in ventilation. Please remember it isn't merely how much current the unit draws but the daily on cycle time. My Vestfrost units are not particularly stingy when running but they do not run often.

This is why an "apartment size" refrigerator uses as much power as a well insulated 14 CF refrigerator. They run 24/7 except in Moosemate, Yukon, Christmas Eve.

MrWizard
old 90's model with AC voltage compressor or late model with DC compressor ?

i don't know about noise ?
the similar one i had in an Dodge camper van was quiet
but it was a real battery sucker
IIRC correctly it uses an AC voltage driven compressor and has its own built in inverter to turn DC to AC for the compressor

i think i would pass and not buy it, well maybe if it was super cheap, like less than $100
but not for $300-$400

if your looking for efficient DC power fridge, there are newer better options out there
BUT if this a late model with a Dan Foss style DC compressor, then yeah go for it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s