Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
EDIT ADDED 45/5/2013- When this thread started in March of 2005, I never expected to see it survive this long or amass the quantity of information that has been shared here.

In the eight year run of this thread we have amassed almost 10,000 postings and surpassed a million views. This creates somewhat of a dilemma for anyone who has just discovered the forum.

Since the amount of information is virtually overwhelming, I suggest you set your preferences for this thread to read "newest first" and then begin to page backwards.

What you will find in these pages is a wealth of info on virtually any make or model of Chinese manufactured synchronous (non-inverter) generator in the 3,000 watt performance class. Info will include how to rewire series coils to parallel to obtain maximum wattage from a single 120 volt outlet. Tips on further reducing sound levels, how to care for these generators, which ones are "RV ready" and provide the best overall performance for the dollar invested. Which companies NOT to deal with, where the best prices are, how to safely wire the generator into a home or RV, how to check your RV for electrical faults, sources for generator accessories, which 20/30 adapters are safe to use and which are not. How to convert a gasoline generator to propane or NG. This is only the beginning. The forum has a life of its own with the focus sub-topic switching frequently. Still, the main topic of utilizing the amazing, inexpensive Chinese gensets is always there. The amount of creativity and innovation presented in these pages is indicative of the talents shared in the diverse backgrounds of the folks who make up our combined RV community.

Many of the original brands and models of Chinese gensets mentioned in the introduction and early pages of the thread have since disappeared. New EPA and CARB emissions requirements, company bonds assuring the emissions warranty will be honored even if the company goes out of business, and fierce competition in the industry have changed the playing field. Champion Power Equipment has become the apparent "trophy team" providing an ever expanding retail outlet, an ample parts supply, a strong warranty and excellent customer service. CPE has continued to improve their product and now offers a new model (#46538) with exclusive convenience, safety and performance features aimed at the RV market. Big names like Cummins/Onan, Honda and Generac all now have Chinese built open frame synchronous gensets available. Ironically, the prices often found on these gensets has not significantly changed during the past eight years - even with the devaluation of the American Dollar and new EPA/CARB requirements.

I also encourage you to use the search function and even the advanced search options to find information. Key works such as "rewiring", "PowerPro", "Champion", "Onan Homesite", "Duropower", "ETQ", "Jiung Dong or JD", "Tractor Supply", "Costco", "Lowe's" and "Home Depot" are all examples of keywords that will give you specific information on different models being sold by retailers today.

Or, you can fill your glass with your favorite beverage (keep more close by - maybe some munchies as well :D, sit back at your computer, tell your wife (or significant other) that you will see her in the morning and spend the next 10 or so hours reading through the postings.

No one on the forum gets mad if you ask a question that is a repeat. Please do not hesitate to post to the forum. All questions are considered important and those active on the forum will do their best to respond with a valid answer.

Also note we are not out to knock the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor or other brands of high end digital gensets. We recognize the quality of these products and their suitability for quite, efficient RV use. But, there is a flood of reliable, inexpensive and comparatively lower cost gensets coming out of China that are excellent alternative choices for the RVer wanting power to run an air conditioner, microwave, etc. without excessive noise or breaking the budget.

Oh, one last thing. The folks on this forum are true gentlemen. We do not flame one another or the product discussed - period. Ugly contributors usually have their comments and remarks ignored by our masses. It is not a forum to start arguments to obtain a clear win. We do disagree on many issues, but we have all agreed to do that in a respectable manner.

We now have the introduction of more and more inverter gensets. There is a rather extensive thread named "The Official Unofficial Champion 2000i Generator" on this forum. Today, I added info on the new Champion 3100i inverter genset. Discussion on this product may get moved to its own thread at a later date.

Many have looked upon this thread with distain saying Chinese is cheap and doomed to failure. I remember saying exactly the same thing about Japanese products a few decades back. But, over the past eight years the track record for Chinese built generators has shown otherwise.

Please, join us in a fascinating journey down the Chinese built genset road of knowledge.

This is the question I posted that got it all started back in March 2005.......

Randy

For a little over a month now, I have been somewhat intrigued by the availability of a 3000 watt, 6.5 HP generator at Pep Boys and Northern Tool for under $300.00. The engine on this generator looks identical to a Honda 6.5 HP OHV engine. Knowing that the Chinese have become very adept at โ€œcloningโ€ reputable technologies from other manufacturers, I was not surprised at the similarities. Neither store could give me any information on the generator nor did they have a โ€œrunningโ€ display model.

I have done a little research. This is what I have discovered:

Many of these generators are imported by ELIM International (www.eliminternational.com) out of Buffalo, New York from Jiung Manufacturing in China. (The unit at Northern is identical but carries the JIUNG name.)

The engines are indeed a Chinese knockoff of the popular 6.5 HP 196cc Honda Engine. โ€œSupposedlyโ€ Honda has licensed the engine technology to the Chinese manufacturer of the product.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for โ€œabove average qualityโ€ Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost identical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an โ€œavailability listingโ€.

The generator head itself is a brushless design. The only really significant wear parts in the generator are the bearings โ€“ most likely universally available.

The published dB rating is 67 at 23 feet. This is โ€œreasonablyโ€ quite for a generator of this size as most comparabl.... The 67 dB rating is the same as Honda gives their 3000 watt CycloInverter with a โ€œlook alikeโ€ eng...

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.
10,029 REPLIES 10,029

flhrci88
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all that good info Prof will put it too work for me!
The King & I

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

Disappointment no progress with a genset designed for quiet RV use. And maybe there should be a sticky made for the safety issue concerning the float needle valve. Big fire hazard. These Honda k/o open frames sure do need lots of open space just like the manual call for. For everything listed in the owners manual, there is a reason. Safety issues need to be addressed. Glad you brought this to our attention. This is truly bringing trust to our Professor95.

Floyd

there you go again twisting things and taking them out of context

the Proff makes a statement regarding a conversation with Paul Cole

and you come along and try to create a mountain out of it.

there is NO defect, NO major issue,

users of portable engines should turn off the gas, when storing or transporting the genny /power washer/ post hole digger/ tractor / lawn mower etc...

all paul cole did was mention some people are NOT doing so..

AMEN!

NOTHING NEW.
READ THE DIRECTIONS FOR OPERATION.
ALL SMALL ENGINE MANUALS WILL TELL YOU TO TURN OFF THE GAS VALVE WHEN NOT IN USE.
PEOPLE DO NOT READ MANUALS. WARNINGS ARE USUALLY IGNORED. PEOPLE GET HURT DUE TO THEIR OWN IGNORANCE AND NEGLECT.

Warning!

• Engine and muffler are hot. They will burn you. Do not touch.
  • Product uses gasoline. Gasoline is explosive. Do not check gas level with a lighted match.
  • Engine produces deadly fumes. Do not run engine indoors or you will die from fumes.
  • Product produces electricity. Electric shock can kill you. Do not put fingers or objects into electrical outlets.
  • Do not operate generator in the rain or in a pool of water. Water conducts electricity which can kill you.
  • Turn off gas valve when not running engine. Gas can leak out and catch fire. Gas fumes are explosive and can go boom and kill you.
  • Generator is heavy. Lifting may cause injury.
  • Do not turn generator upside down or on side. Oil and gas will run out. Gas can explode and kill you.
  • Do not run engine without oil. Engine will be ruined and your generator will not work. No, we will not take it back and give you a new one for your stupidity.
  • The generator has moving parts. Do not allow children to play with generator. Do not stick objects into openings or they may break, fly out and put your eye out.

More?
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Old and Slow wrote:
Cheap Honda k/o gensets for CA, a thing of the past, uh?

Could be if UL has it's way. CARB is also raising your prices with the catalytic converter requirment. Like I said, "we" have to protect our citizens from their own ignorance. We live in a litigation and liability society.

I will quite expecting Champion to make changes in the price range of the classic C46540.

I think you meant to say "quit" rather than "quite"? If so, I'll believe that when I see it....:B

You speak of a possible Champion Inverter, perhaps, some time in the distant future.

Distant and Possible are key words. Do not misinterpret them to mean I am saying it will happen. Any company that wants to survive knows that as paradigms change, so will their products - or they will be out of business. In the mean time, if you want an inverter genny, do as I did and buy what is now available. BTW - I am considering offering the Kipor for sale. Now that I have it, have tested it and got over the inverter thing I find it a useless piece of expensive equipment just sitting in my garage. I will use the Chinese genny in the cave. It is much quieter in it's present location and much more efficient than the suitcase Kipor. IMHO, inverter output and noise regulation are NOT what they are made out to be.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
mrfixit454 wrote:
"The float needle is and always will be a potential failure point on gravity feed fuel systems that have several gallons of gasoline pushing down on them.

Of course, all one needs to do is turn off the petcock as directed and warned in the manual to almost totally reduce the incidence of leakage."
"

Have you guys considered an electric fuel transfer pump to avoid the gravity feed/needle and seat issue? a remote tank outside the "cave" could be used. A tank system kind of like the toyhaulers. The concern then becomes whether or not you want to be having dinner with a tank under you!

No need.

My genny's primary fuel source is LPG from either the RV tanks or a remote outside 5 gal tank. The use of gasoline is a secondary fuel in the event I am in a remote area where LPG refils or exchange tanks are not available.

The modified fuel cap I made solves some safety issues for MY SPECIFIC APPLICATION. (Meaning it may not work for your application.)

The OEM gas tank cap on virtually all Chinese built 3,000 watt class open frame generators are identical.

The OEM cap is permanently vented. It has a rubber seal at the bottom. The inner part of the tank has a baffle to reduce the incidence of fuel splashing or leaking around the cap. Unless the tank is overfilled fuel rarely leaks around the cap. But, overfilling the tank will lead to seepage when the generator is transported. Fumes will escape the cap to whatever compartment the generator is placed in.

If the cap is unvented, gravity fuel feed to the carburetor will stop as tank vacuum increases. Many Honda and Kipor generators have tank caps that can be sealed for transport, and vented for usage.

The following tank cap modification is NOT for everyone.

The modification may solve one problem and create new ones.

All parts for the mod were found at Loweโ€™s as off-the-shelf materials. Seal All sealant was purchased from local RV dealer parts department.

An unvented or sealed gas tank will not leak fuel. But, as temperature changes, the gas will expand or shrink in the tank. Temperature rise will cause a significant pressure increase inside the tank which could easily cause fuel leakage from carburetor needle seat and fuel bowl if the petcock is left open.

In my application, I DO NOT fill the gas tank with more than 3 gallons (3/4 full).

I made a fitting to attach a fuel line hose to the butterfly valve and vent the hose to the outside with the valve open to keep gasoline fumes out of โ€œThe Caveโ€

If desired, I can close the butterfly valve. (Just like Honda or Kipor)

An added benefit is that this cap allows for vacuum fuel transfer from a remote tank, like a 6 gallon boat tank, to give extended run times.

Photos were made while using an old tank as a test. I do not currently have photos of the genny in my front compartment (โ€œThe Caveโ€) with cap and vent hose installed. Will make those when the rain stops ๐Ÿ™‚

Allow SealAll sealant to dry 24 hours before first use.

Do not use RTV as a substitute sealant โ€“ it will break down over time with gasoline.

Fuel gauge needs to be chalked with sealant to assure full tank sealing, especially if using a vacuum transfer tank.

My vent hose is not shown in these photos.

Do not forget to seal the fuel gauge as well. It is not air tight as installed.

mrfixit454
Explorer
Explorer
"The float needle is and always will be a potential failure point on gravity feed fuel systems that have several gallons of gasoline pushing down on them.

Of course, all one needs to do is turn off the petcock as directed and warned in the manual to almost totally reduce the incidence of leakage."
"

Have you guys considered an electric fuel transfer pump to avoid the gravity feed/needle and seat issue? a remote tank outside the "cave" could be used. A tank system kind of like the toyhaulers. The concern then becomes whether or not you want to be having dinner with a tank under you!
2012 Lance 830 w/Tent Option
2006 2500 Dodge Ram Megacab, Cummins, Auto.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
prof,

WOW, I didn't want to open a can of big wooly worms. But anyway, it does appear the importers and mfg'ers of generators done got them selves a plenty of safety issues coming down the camping trail. Makes me want to return to the RV of my youth, the old dog sled. Candles and moon light. Cheap Honda k/o gensets for CA, a thing of the past, uh? I will quite expecting Champion to make changes in the price range of the classic C46540. You speak of a possible Champion Inverter, perhaps, some time in the distant future. Lots of these on the market in the 2600w field. Seems like every month another new name. Are they mostly all out of one or two factories? The old C46540 still cranks with the twist of the start switch. Thanks again, for the path to the upgrade.

Floyd

MrWizard

Disappointment no progress with a genset designed for quiet RV use. And maybe there should be a sticky made for the safety issue concerning the float needle valve. Big fire hazard. These Honda k/o open frames sure do need lots of open space just like the manual call for. For everything listed in the owners manual, there is a reason. Safety issues need to be addressed. Glad you brought this to our attention. This is truly bringing trust to our Professor95.

Floyd

there you go again twisting things and taking them out of context

the Proff makes a statement regarding a conversation with Paul Cole

and you come along and try to create a mountain out of it.

there is NO defect, NO major issue,

users of portable engines should turn off the gas, when storing or transporting the genny /power washer/ post hole digger/ tractor / lawn mower etc...

all paul cole did was mention some people are NOT doing so..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently been doing a little research and some modifications to my own project.

The float needle is and always will be a potential failure point on gravity feed fuel systems that have several gallons of gasoline pushing down on them.

Of course, all one needs to do is turn off the petcock as directed and warned in the manual to almost totally reduce the incidence of leakage.

Attached to that warning are others โ€“ like do not store indoors with gasoline. Of course, many of us ignore that warning all the time and put portable gasoline powered equipment in utility closets and basements all the time. In reality, not the best place to store such equipment.

Other warning labels specifically tell us the dangers of operating a generator with a gasoline engine inside a building or even outside where it is raining or subject to flooding.

As one who seemingly has a history of getting fingers into the path of moving saw blades, I cannot unequivocally say that I am smart enough to always remember and abide by safety rules. But, I inheritently HATE mandated safety devices, guards, interlocks, etc. and often find these devices can actually make a tool more dangerous! I admit it..... I often remove them from my tools and equipment.

Anyway, moving right along with the intended subject....

Still, I do read the warnings, think about the consequences and do the best my brain will allow to either assure safe environments under compromised operational circumstances or avoid the situation all together.

Such is the case with CO and leaking gasoline for my RV compartment mounted genny. New to the controls group for the cave is a modified CO alarm that will pull in a small reed relay when the piezo buzzer begins to blast out a CO warning that automatically shuts down the engine via the low oil shutdown transition diode. Thus, should any CO from the exhaust creep into the RV living area the genny engine will be killed removing the CO source.

As for fuel spillage, I have always favored LPG for RV use. But in this application I decided to allow gasoline as well. The genny tank cap is not spill proof on the 3,000 watt Chinese genny tanks. Thus, I have designed a new filler spout and cap that do not leak and can be completely closed to all external air venting when in transport.

Both of these devices will be shared on this thread with instructions on how they can be easily made. I do not believe safety issues should be hidden under a basket, but rather should be freely shared.

As for the fuel petcock, research is being conducted into using a model that is opened and closed by manifold vacuum. Thus, the petcock becomes โ€œautomaticโ€.

I donโ€™t want to make this too long, but of interest on this topic is this little thing called UL 2201.

UL 2201 is an effort to develop standards for portable generators that reduce the possibility of CO poisoning and electrical shock from damp locations. Reading all of the links and associated patents takes a considerable amount of time, but do provide an interesting read.

In summary, it appears that a UL standard is just around the corner that could significantly change the construction, appearance and, of course, cost of portable generators.

We do, as Americans, need agencies to devise rules to protect ourselves from our own stupidity and failure to follow product warnings.

For now, it appears that only a new round of warning labels and manual rewrites will be necessary โ€“ but that will inevitability change as time moves forward. The standards originally presented have been withdrawn.

Take a few minutes to check out these links:

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
Voluntary Standards

Carbon Monoxide
Generators, Portable

Report test and memo on portable generators and CO are here

CPSC Staff Reports, Memoranda and Contracts

• Portable Generator Vibration Measurements, CPSC Directorate for Engineering Sciences, January 2007
  • Engine-Drive Tools, Phase 1 Test Report for Portable Electric Generators, November 2006, CPSC Division of Mechanical Engineering, Directorate for Laboratory Sciences
  • Staff Review of Portable Generator Safety, October 2006
  • Demonstration of a Remote Carbon Monoxide Sensing Automatic Shut Off Device for Portable Generators,...
  • Product Labels for Generators to Address Carbon Monoxide Poisonings, May 2006
  • Request for Information: Techniques to Substantially Reduce Carbon Monoxide Emissions from Gasoline Powered Portable Generators
  • Portable Generators: CPSC Economics Staff Report, August 2005
  • Proposed Warning Language to Accompany Generators, August 2003
  • Weatherproof Portable Engine-Generators
  • CPSC staff presentations at 5-20-04 Public Forum on CO Poisoning Associated with Portable Generators
  • Phase 1 Test Plan - Test program for engine-driven tools project
  • Medium-Sized Combustion Chamber System Characterization Tests
  • Health Hazard Assessment of CO Poisoning Associated with Emissions from a Portable, 5.5 Kilowatt, Gasoline-Powered Generator

(you will need to visit the actual URL to check out any topics not coded as active by color change above)

And to close it all off, take a peek at what Honda received a patent for in April. You can find the text for the invention here that goes with the attached PDF.
Is this Hondaโ€™s answer to UL 2201? Could beโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Like I said, It is an expectation that we come up with standards, codes, or laws that protect us from ourselves. Expect it soon!

Emptyspaces
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Professor,

I plan on doing exploratory surgery. I'm now suspecting the washer fell on the floor as that one went down the assy. line. Since there is no crankcase back pressure and the oil is traveling up a vertical shaft
about all I can figure is it's being thrown by the crank.

I'll post an update as to what is found when I do.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Emptyspaces wrote:
Professor95,

A question about the one on your engine.

Does the washer fit snug against the engine case? I think there are tabs on the shaft on which the washer is held up.

Thanks

Not really snug-snug like torque tight. It is more like a splash guard.

I did ask Paul. His response was opening the case and putting an "O" ring on the governor shaft. It is not a problem he has encountered on CPE engines.

I don't know what tools you have available but having a small metal lathe here I would be inclined to drill the shaft hole out to a larger size and make an Oilite bushing with more depth and a shoulder and then knurliese the shaft. Anyway, I look for excuses to use the lathe โ€“ I find it therapeutic to watch the metal curl and chips fly.

Another approach is to adopt the attitude of old Triumph motorcycle owners โ€“ โ€œIf it isnโ€™t leaking oil it must not have any in itโ€.

You might be able to run a bead of RTV around the outside of the hole/shaft and leave it undisturbed for a day or so to cure. The RTV should bond to the shaft and the block making a seal. There is a lot of force moving the rod and governor and the RTV is flexible enough that it should twist without breaking.

MrWizard
holds 0.4 Liter thats .42 qt = 13oz

like you said it might be missing a washer inside the case

but watch that oil volume carefully. it real easy to overfill an engine that small
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Emptyspaces
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard,

The oil leak is just enough to puddle on top of the engine after a few hours running. (and make a big mess)

The engine is a downsized copy of the GX series but smaller than the standard GX-200. The gen is 1200/1500w with the engine being 2.8hp.
The gen is new with 10 hrs and has leaked since the beginning.

Does not show to be over filled. I may try lowering the oil level to half full just to see what happens before splitting the case.

Here's a link to the same type gen.

http://jackyhan.blogspot.com/2009/01/st1500-1500w-four-stroke-portable-with.html

MrWizard
does the engine loose so much oil as to 'go low' ?
if you over fill it, it has too go somewhere
these engines ( the gx clones ) only hold 6/10 of a quart of oil.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Emptyspaces
Explorer
Explorer
Professor95,
Any chance you where able to ask Paul about what might cause an oil leak at the governor shaft. I'm about down to splitting the case to see if the washer is missing.

A question about the one on your engine.

Does the washer fit snug against the engine case? I think there are tabs on the shaft on which the washer is held up.

Thanks

mikeinboise
Explorer
Explorer
Its funny you mention the fuel leaking down into the crank issue! I had my kipor 1000W inverter do this twice recently... My dad thought it was dirt or something preventing the needle from completely stopping the flow of fuel, the generator was also surging so that also seemed to point to a needle sealing issue. We took it apart, blew it all out and then noticed that there was lots of******in the gas tank. We washed it out, then installed a lawn mower fuel filter and shut off valve inline from the fuel pump to the carb. Guess what, no more surging and no more crank full of gas!! She runs like a top now!
1998 Four Winds 5000 21RB Chevy "Sonoran Flyer"
2006 Springdale 179RD - SOLD

2004 FORD F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 5.4L
1999 Voyager 21' Pontoon Boat
2007 Kipor KGE1000ti
2007 Champion C46540 RV Generator