Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
EDIT ADDED 45/5/2013- When this thread started in March of 2005, I never expected to see it survive this long or amass the quantity of information that has been shared here.

In the eight year run of this thread we have amassed almost 10,000 postings and surpassed a million views. This creates somewhat of a dilemma for anyone who has just discovered the forum.

Since the amount of information is virtually overwhelming, I suggest you set your preferences for this thread to read "newest first" and then begin to page backwards.

What you will find in these pages is a wealth of info on virtually any make or model of Chinese manufactured synchronous (non-inverter) generator in the 3,000 watt performance class. Info will include how to rewire series coils to parallel to obtain maximum wattage from a single 120 volt outlet. Tips on further reducing sound levels, how to care for these generators, which ones are "RV ready" and provide the best overall performance for the dollar invested. Which companies NOT to deal with, where the best prices are, how to safely wire the generator into a home or RV, how to check your RV for electrical faults, sources for generator accessories, which 20/30 adapters are safe to use and which are not. How to convert a gasoline generator to propane or NG. This is only the beginning. The forum has a life of its own with the focus sub-topic switching frequently. Still, the main topic of utilizing the amazing, inexpensive Chinese gensets is always there. The amount of creativity and innovation presented in these pages is indicative of the talents shared in the diverse backgrounds of the folks who make up our combined RV community.

Many of the original brands and models of Chinese gensets mentioned in the introduction and early pages of the thread have since disappeared. New EPA and CARB emissions requirements, company bonds assuring the emissions warranty will be honored even if the company goes out of business, and fierce competition in the industry have changed the playing field. Champion Power Equipment has become the apparent "trophy team" providing an ever expanding retail outlet, an ample parts supply, a strong warranty and excellent customer service. CPE has continued to improve their product and now offers a new model (#46538) with exclusive convenience, safety and performance features aimed at the RV market. Big names like Cummins/Onan, Honda and Generac all now have Chinese built open frame synchronous gensets available. Ironically, the prices often found on these gensets has not significantly changed during the past eight years - even with the devaluation of the American Dollar and new EPA/CARB requirements.

I also encourage you to use the search function and even the advanced search options to find information. Key works such as "rewiring", "PowerPro", "Champion", "Onan Homesite", "Duropower", "ETQ", "Jiung Dong or JD", "Tractor Supply", "Costco", "Lowe's" and "Home Depot" are all examples of keywords that will give you specific information on different models being sold by retailers today.

Or, you can fill your glass with your favorite beverage (keep more close by - maybe some munchies as well :D, sit back at your computer, tell your wife (or significant other) that you will see her in the morning and spend the next 10 or so hours reading through the postings.

No one on the forum gets mad if you ask a question that is a repeat. Please do not hesitate to post to the forum. All questions are considered important and those active on the forum will do their best to respond with a valid answer.

Also note we are not out to knock the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor or other brands of high end digital gensets. We recognize the quality of these products and their suitability for quite, efficient RV use. But, there is a flood of reliable, inexpensive and comparatively lower cost gensets coming out of China that are excellent alternative choices for the RVer wanting power to run an air conditioner, microwave, etc. without excessive noise or breaking the budget.

Oh, one last thing. The folks on this forum are true gentlemen. We do not flame one another or the product discussed - period. Ugly contributors usually have their comments and remarks ignored by our masses. It is not a forum to start arguments to obtain a clear win. We do disagree on many issues, but we have all agreed to do that in a respectable manner.

We now have the introduction of more and more inverter gensets. There is a rather extensive thread named "The Official Unofficial Champion 2000i Generator" on this forum. Today, I added info on the new Champion 3100i inverter genset. Discussion on this product may get moved to its own thread at a later date.

Many have looked upon this thread with distain saying Chinese is cheap and doomed to failure. I remember saying exactly the same thing about Japanese products a few decades back. But, over the past eight years the track record for Chinese built generators has shown otherwise.

Please, join us in a fascinating journey down the Chinese built genset road of knowledge.

This is the question I posted that got it all started back in March 2005.......

Randy

For a little over a month now, I have been somewhat intrigued by the availability of a 3000 watt, 6.5 HP generator at Pep Boys and Northern Tool for under $300.00. The engine on this generator looks identical to a Honda 6.5 HP OHV engine. Knowing that the Chinese have become very adept at โ€œcloningโ€ reputable technologies from other manufacturers, I was not surprised at the similarities. Neither store could give me any information on the generator nor did they have a โ€œrunningโ€ display model.

I have done a little research. This is what I have discovered:

Many of these generators are imported by ELIM International (www.eliminternational.com) out of Buffalo, New York from Jiung Manufacturing in China. (The unit at Northern is identical but carries the JIUNG name.)

The engines are indeed a Chinese knockoff of the popular 6.5 HP 196cc Honda Engine. โ€œSupposedlyโ€ Honda has licensed the engine technology to the Chinese manufacturer of the product.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for โ€œabove average qualityโ€ Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost identical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an โ€œavailability listingโ€.

The generator head itself is a brushless design. The only really significant wear parts in the generator are the bearings โ€“ most likely universally available.

The published dB rating is 67 at 23 feet. This is โ€œreasonablyโ€ quite for a generator of this size as most comparabl.... The 67 dB rating is the same as Honda gives their 3000 watt CycloInverter with a โ€œlook alikeโ€ eng...

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.
10,029 REPLIES 10,029

mcmurphrjk
Explorer
Explorer
I too have this older model. I have converted the wiring on mine to provide full amperage to a 30 amp RV outlet.
Having said that, it would run the AC on my fiver before I converted it.
Now it will run virtually everything in my rv at once, with the exception of the micro and the ac simultaneously.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, and beat youwith experience.

JAYC934
Explorer
Explorer
So this one will run my roof air on my travel trailer? I don't know the shipping but I think it is a good price. You have put in your credit card number before they show you the shipping information!!

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
Jayc934, thats the same model I have had for a little over a year. It does not have the RV plug as already mentioned but it has performed well for me. I like the fact it has the wheel kit already and even at 50 yrs old I can lift it into the bed of my truck by myself. It will run my 12.5 AC unit, microwave and lights all at the same time without a hiccup. I lucked out and got it on sale at Checker Auto and was able to use a Pep Boys price match and a calendar coupon so it only cost me $238!
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

P_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Jay, that's not it. Here is the main one that is being discussed:
http://www.cpeauto.com/de3500RV_gen.htm

Nice wheel kit, that one is on the Champion website too.
2004 Colorado 28BH-M5
2006 CTD DRW/QC 4X4
Check out my States visted map,..... WE GET AROUND, HUH?!

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
bobandcat wrote:
Posted: 01/31/07 12:18pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

professor95 wrote:

It is also reported to include additional consumer safety equipment.

Professor,

Could you elaborate on this?
Thanks!

No, I really can't.

I have not seen the new model but I have been assured I will get full specs, photos and maybe even an eyeball when it is available.

What information I may have at this point I must keep confidential. I respect my friends who share information in confidence with me and would not betray their trust.

I will say that I believe CPE is a forward thinking company greatly focused on customer satisfaction and growth. I do not believe "soon" will be the same soon as Microsoft or the US Gummit.

Again, as soon as I know something that I can definitively share with the forum, I will.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

beavergod1
Explorer
Explorer
NO, it doesn't have the 30 amp rv plug. Older model.
Friends: Easy to make and hard to get rid of.

JAYC934
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the same Champion 3500w 4450w generator that has been talked about? I found these on the Sams Club Auction web site.

Champion 3500 Watt Generator

1/30/07 4:00:00 PM PST

2/2/07 4:00:00 PM PST(or extended due to popcorn bidding)

(Refresh browser to update.)

$1.00

8Bid History

English

$159.00

Current Auction time: 12:51 PM PST
Click Refresh to update.

see a larger imageAdd to Watch List email this listing to a friend

Listing #: 78600260
Item: 944709
Get portable electric power when and where you want it with this feature-packed Generator. 3,500 running watts and up to 4,450 max watts of power with a run time of 12 hours at 50% load from a 4-gallon fuel tank. With a noise level of 68dB it's quiet, only 8dB above normal conversation. Receptacles include a 20-amp 120/240-volt recptacle, two 120 volt AC duplex recptacles, and one 12-volt/10amp DC outlet. Push-to-reset circuit breakers. Single-cylinder, four-stroke, air-cooled engine with recoil start and low-oil shut-off. 1"-diameter tubular steel frame. Includes DC charging cord, oil funnel, spark arrester and sparkplug wrench.

Features

Dimensions: 23 1/4"L x 17 1/2"W x 17 1/4"H
Weight: 100 lbs.

Warranty

Manufacturer warranty may apply on items in which the manufacturer supplies a warranty.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
With our ever expanding discussion on clones, I guess it should only be natural to expect one to show up among our membership on the forum.

It has been called to my attention that we have two members with only a subtle difference in their screen names.

ol Bombero-JC
and
ol Bombero--JC

Note the -TWO- hyphens.

The two hyphen member made the posting about the Champion warranty
and cast iron sleeve. It was his first.

Perhaps it is a coincidence? I don't know. But, just be aware of who is who when you read the forum.

VDOCAD
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
coachk34 wrote:
Now if we can only find out if there is a new and improved champion generator coming out soon. LOL

There is a new and improved model in the works. It is believed to look different, be packaged different and "may" be quiter. It is also reported to include additional consumer safety equipment. The amperage available and the quality of the generated waveform will most likely be the same as the current models.

The big question is, "how is soon defined?"

Would this be the one with Electric Start?

Index_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
extexaco wrote:

I believe his handle is nam boonie. Being a vietnam veteran myself, his name stood out to me.
It appears that all his posts have been deleted from the thread. Not sure why.

Ouch.

I would have liked to see that information.

:?
Yeh... That'll work.

Index_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
extexaco wrote:
Index Jeff wrote:
Has anyone put any time on the small alton from costco, yet ?

I recall namboonie having a good report on the alton generator, but I can't locate his post.

Namboonie ???

A search on namboonie brings up no results.

Are you sure of the name ?
Yeh... That'll work.

Index_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone put any time on the small alton from costco, yet ?
Yeh... That'll work.

bobandcat
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
It is also reported to include additional consumer safety equipment.

Professor,

Could you elaborate on this?
Thanks!
Bob and Cathy
2002 Montana 3655FL
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
PullRite 16k Superglide

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:

If you are the Government, "Soon" might be in a different lifetime.

If you are a Car Company, it is somewhere between 3 and 5 years.

If you are a teenager, it is when you go and drag them from whatever they are doing (as in Q: "When are you comming to dinner? A: Soon")

If you are Microsoft it will be at least a year after the final date and then you cross your fingers that it will work:B
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
coachk34 wrote:
Now if we can only find out if there is a new and improved champion generator coming out soon. LOL

There is a new and improved model in the works. It is believed to look different, be packaged different and "may" be quiter. It is also reported to include additional consumer safety equipment. The amperage available and the quality of the generated waveform will most likely be the same as the current models.