cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5TH Wheel Landing Gear Problem --- Need Help

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up my big 2009 Grand Junction 5ver from the desert winter storage yard today. Unlocked the raise/lower flap door to press the rocker switch up to raise the rig a bit for hookup to truck. The rod that spins (that you could put a hand crank on if motor failed) wobbled about a half inch out off center when rotating and I could hear a knock as it spun, as if a gear was missing a tooth in the gear box. With the loud knocking noise I was able to get it hooked up and then raise the legs for travel up to my mountain home. I know it will probably fail at the worst probable moment on our next trip.

Upon getting home I started to inspect it all. I'm afraid to try and take it off the truck now. My trailer literature has no mention of the brand of my landing gear. The whole unit and legs on both the drive and slave side are so very enclosed from all sides that I cant see any sticker or such with a brand name or model number. In fact I cant imagine being able to replace the gear box, or motor, or even lube or maintain the unit in the future without removing a wall or steel or a combination of stuff, it is all so very isolated and enclosed.

The only trusted RV repair shop I have is an hour and a half drive from my mountain home. Has anyone dealt with this before or do you have any information I could use? --- Thanks
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS
10 REPLIES 10

shepfly
Explorer
Explorer
You may be hearing the guide tube flopping up and down as the motor rotates on the drive shaft. On mine this guide tube fits very loosely on the driven shaft. Stick a wooden dowel into the guide tube and hold to see if you can make the noise cease. I pulled, dissembled,greased and reinstalled mine chasing this noise until I discovered the source. Dave

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no reason for that rod to shear in normal operating conditions. You've got an issue with excessive torque needed to turn the rod, resulting in a shearing force. I would isolate the problem before repairing anything, otherwise it will just likely happen again.

To get a replacement part you need to find out exactly what brand of legs you have.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

L_MMusic
Explorer
Explorer
We have just now cut a hole through the bedroom floor to access ours. Otherwise, you need to have access from the ground (but the front of the RV is now in the lowest position position posible, limiting outside access).

We've had trouble with the motorized side (driver's side), but this is the first time we've had to deal with the passenger side. The rod coming from the passenger side into the squared piece that rotates had been sheared off. The bolt is still in place! So...do we have anyone who knows the replacement part number for what I'm talking about?

Or can we fish out the other end of the rod (still held in place by the bolt, and weld it together? Will it be strong enough?

Thanks for your input!
Melissa
Husband Larry
Cocker Spaniel Henry
2008 F-350 Dually Short Bed
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS
Reese 16K Hitch w/ Kwik Slide

Whatever you can do, or DREAM you can, BEGIN it. BOLDNESS has genius, power and MAGIC in it. (Goethe)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^^^^I contacted a mobile RV service to come out and install one of the legs when I changed out the landing gear on my toyhauler. The only way to get to the leg was climbing and squeezing over the top of the generator housing.

It was worth every penny. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess in this case I will just take it in to my go to guy and say please go through it all and fix it.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Having been in your shoes recently, and seeing a similar post here's my 2 cents.

My 5er's landing gear was making an awful squeal. I finally disassembled the landing gear and found that all the grease inside the unit had dried out. Furthermore, because there are NO zerk fittings on the older models (there are now) there was substantial damage to the bearings inside the jacks.

The gear box you're describing was suffering from the same problem. there was minimal grease inside the box, and it was completely dried.

I left my truck connected to my 5er, removed the rod between the two jacks, drive motor and then each jack. Disassembled the jacks and regreased the entire assembly.

As painful as this was, once I reassembled the jacks and put it together, it worked really well.

i did make the purchase of the replacement gears and top end for the jacks, but Lippert (which now sells the jacks on my unit) does not sell the bearings inside. You have to purchase all new jack assemblies.

As bad as that sounds, the good news is once you identify your jacks, you can go to sites like etrailer and they have great customer service and can help you get the correct part delivered.

I have yet to replace my jacks because they are working so well.

if you have any further questions, PM me.

Take care,

josh

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Please do not post in more than one forum section.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You need to figure out if it's the motor, the gearbox, the cross shaft, or one or both of the leg gears.

Did the noise get better after the weight was off the legs? Either you need to isolate the problem or take it to a repair person. Repairing the legs may not be that bad, but you need to be able to get to all the parts. Replacing the legs completely isn't really that much more work, unless access is difficult.

I replaced the legs/gearbox/motor on my Fuzion with a dual motor design, with a motor on each leg. If you have a Venture system it's very likely underpowered for a large heavy fifth wheel.

The noise and gearbox shaft wobble was just as noticeable when I raised the jacks after the trailer was hitched to the truck which makes me think it is the gear box. As far as getting to the legs or gearbox and motor area my belly covering encloses the upper legs on the bottom, in my front (under 5th wheel overhang)storage area has an inter-wall that encases the entire upper leg and gearbox area, and the generator compartment is also up against that inner wall on the drive side, and my propane bottle compartment is on the rear side of the drive jack. They are really inaccessible. Its kind of like the trailer was built around the jacks.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to figure out if it's the motor, the gearbox, the cross shaft, or one or both of the leg gears.

Did the noise get better after the weight was off the legs? Either you need to isolate the problem or take it to a repair person. Repairing the legs may not be that bad, but you need to be able to get to all the parts. Replacing the legs completely isn't really that much more work, unless access is difficult.

I replaced the legs/gearbox/motor on my Fuzion with a dual motor design, with a motor on each leg. If you have a Venture system it's very likely underpowered for a large heavy fifth wheel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
put a jack stand under each side of trailer frame and once the unit is safely resting on the jack stands with the weight off the 2 front legs you can remove the motor and replace it. Look at each leg closely where it mounts inside the rv, if any welds are broken either take it to a welding shop or have a mobile guy come out to repair. Some units also have bolts that may hold the legs, if any bolts are bent replace them with a higher grade bolt and nut. If it's just a stripped gear in the motor you can replace it