cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8000 Watt Generator help

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Daton 8000 watt generator with a 2 cylinder briggs engine on it which runs fine but the gen is not putting out power. I disconnected the wires going to the brushes and I put 12 volts to the brushes and I got 70 volts out of the 110 outlet. How do I test the other components in the panel thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
On the slip rings it reads 5 omes and slip ring to ground open circuit

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It would help if you could post images of whatever electronics power the brushes. In other words the field power. Lift the brushes. Stick a swatch of writing paper under them to insulate the brushes from the copper slip rings.

With a multi-meter, measure ohms resistance across the slip rings. Then set the meter for high ohms and measure Megohms from either slip ring to rotor steel. What do you get?

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if some one with the same generator could give me the serial numbrerr for it so generac tech support can help me thanks

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I found out that the daton was made by generac and it is a generac model 9404 but generac can't help me without a generac serial number.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
Their is no capacitor in this unit.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Does the generator have what looks to be a big motor starting capacitor? If yes, substitute a known good capacitor of the same voltage and rating