Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

a little surpize from the good folks at Magnum

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

A little surprize thanks to the good folks at Magnum. It turns out that the Magnum is some what sensitive as to input voltage.

My Yamaha 3000 sIEB cranks out 122 volts under low loads. With the Fridge that dropped to 121.x. The surpize is that the charging rate on the Magnum goes DOWN as the input voltage goes UP. This happens in load support mode and also when it is in "regular" pass through mode.

When I turned on the George Foreman grill I wanted to see what would happen. Well, something sure did. Charging amps jumped from a measly 12 amps up to 40.

Talk about a conundrum, LOL. I spend 16 years trying to solve low voltage. I finally have it "beat" with the autoformer. Now I have--too much voltage to do fast heavy duty charging--at least when the batteries are not horribly low.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
1 REPLY 1

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Call the support phone number at the tech support at Magnum, he will talk you thru on the how to set the panel to avoid this.
I had the same thing, with the control panel set the way they want it, the batteries will charge normally.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.