cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accidental LED experiment

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I previously installed a couple of cool white 48 LED panels in the light above the dinette. It has a frosted glass globe.
I thought that the light was just OK for reading.
Recently I became less enamored with it and decided to add some more panels. I mistakenly ordered warm white. Since they were so cheap, I decided to experiment. When I removed the globe I discovered that my recent feeling of poor light was due to the fact that one of the cool white panels wasn't working. A bad connection in the wedge receptacle.
So I decided to hard wire the LEDs, and go ahead with adding the warm whites while I was at it.
I ended up with 2 cool white, and 3 warm white panels. When I installed the frosted globe, the result was magnificent. The globe does a great job if mixing and difussing the different colored LEDs, and the light output is phenomenal.
And this fixture is still using half of the amps that the incandescent bulbs did.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
9 REPLIES 9

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
It is half. I measured the draw before I did anything. Those panels draw right at 20% of what the stock incandescent bulbs did. There were two of those. I now have 5 LED panels in there, replacing TWO bulbs... That works out to half the original draw for that fixture.
wa8yxm wrote:
HALF the amps.. More like 10-20 percent less you have a whole lotta lumens there.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
HALF the amps.. More like 10-20 percent less you have a whole lotta lumens there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
AliExpress.com

Search for 24 each 5050 LED panel, and you can find what I bought. I got 50 of them for about $1.65 each. Then I put some on a friend's house, along with my pair of 45 watt solar panels and a 30 amp hour sealed battery.

I also installed a $13 solar controller, rated at 10 amps, it also turns on the lights for about 4 hours after sunset. There are about 10 of the LED panels about 6' apart from each other, and it lights up his house pretty well!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
ryanw821 wrote:
Sfla2 wrote:
i just brought some on e bay look real good in the day but boy are they blue at night, ordered ww now to see how they do. that first 1 was a 10 pack for$18 so u will know what to look out for(only 1056 adapt)

I was pretty happy with the warm white I got, whiter than the incandescent but not blue.

glad to hear that
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Sfla2 wrote:
i just brought some on e bay look real good in the day but boy are they blue at night, ordered ww now to see how they do. that first 1 was a 10 pack for$18 so u will know what to look out for(only 1056 adapt)

I was pretty happy with the warm white I got, whiter than the incandescent but not blue.

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the wedge plugs are pretty finicky, I had to be sure the wires were aligned just right to get mine all working.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered our LED upgrades. SOOOOO EXCITED. now just to wait until Monday....
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Great mistake. And very interesting. Thanks. BTW I also have trouble making the wedge connectors connect at times
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)