cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accidentally winterized the water heater

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
While pumping the pink stuff through the plumbing, I realized that we forgot to set the bypass. I know some antifreeze got into the water heater- will it be ok through the winter?
I usually remove the anode to drain completely, will that be enough to remove enough pink stuff, or should I flush it now as well? (& How?)

Our spring routine sends bleach through the whole system followed by a couple rinses. Thanks in advance! ??
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
18 REPLIES 18

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
rexlion wrote:
I accidentally got the pink stuff in my water heater one fall. The next summer, every time I used hot water... for dishwashing, showers, whatever... the water smelled of it. Imagine trying to rinse your hair and having it smell sweet like pink antifreeze. Yuck. Thatโ€™s why I think you should get the wretched stuff out of there now.

Exactly, hate to admit, BEEN THERE! Who wants to have a foaming rinse after soaping up in the shower, or wash your dishes, brush your teeth with ethanol based pink (which I won't use). Flush it now, and again in the Spring.

Jerry

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally got the pink stuff in my water heater one fall. The next summer, every time I used hot water... for dishwashing, showers, whatever... the water smelled of it. Imagine trying to rinse your hair and having it smell sweet like pink antifreeze. Yuck. Thatโ€™s why I think you should get the wretched stuff out of there now.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
dup.
David and Dayle

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
The bypass is so that you don't put 8 gallons of antifreeze into the tank when you dont have to.
David and Dayle

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
The by-pass valves are to keep antifreeze out of the tank so you do not need to flush it out come spring, just the lines.
Water freezing in the bottom of the rounded tank will not crack anything. As it becomes ice and expands it just expands up the roundness of the tank and folds back in. No risk, so there is no need to winterize the tank, just the pipes.
The pink antifreeze is meant to be used in the water system and to be later flushed out with clean water, tank and pipes.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can't get ur hose in there or it blocks the water coming out, you can get a reducer. Just fit a 1/2" length of hose and stick it in as far back as you can. Turn the water on and let it run for a while. Use a spring clamp or wire to hold the hose in place if needed. Leave the plug out when not in use. Doesn't hurt to be sure. Flushing isn't gonna hurt it and as a bonus, you might rinse out any sediment.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
This is what the pink antifreeze is made for. This is like asking -
I put gas in my gas tank, should I leave it in?

You just flush the tank out in the spring according the the antifreeze directions.

How is this a question even?

So all those HW tanks by-pass valves and winterizing instructions are just for show??
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I been winterizing my trailer for years and I always put antifreeze in my hot water heater never had a problem. just flush the line like you do every other spring. What is the pink stuff going to hurt. I have seen hot water heater crack in the corners where the water will lay A little pink wont hurt you
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
This is what the pink antifreeze is made for.

Agree it won't hurt anything but people normally don't put any in their hot water tank. Thats way most have a bi-pass valve for the tank

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what the pink antifreeze is made for. This is like asking -
I put gas in my gas tank, should I leave it in?

You just flush the tank out in the spring according the the antifreeze directions.

How is this a question even?

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick response all. I did initiate the bypass and winterized the rest of the system when I remembered partway through the operation. I'll go ahead and drain it today, then plan to flush as suggested afterwards with a hose.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cannot imagine "some" antifreeze in the HW tank will hurt anything. You will still need to pull the plug to drain the tank. If you are worried just spray out the tank afterwards. I have a wand made for that purpose. Since you did not initially bypass the HW system, did you winterize the rest of the afterwards?

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it were me I would flush the hot water heater

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It won't HURT anything, but the sooner you flush it out the better. I would use one of the cheap wand type sprayers that goes on end of garden hose. It will foam for a long time. I'd use a small shop vac to get as much remaining out. I attach a small hose to vac hose, that will fit in hole. A bit of duct tape makes a quick neck down.

Jerry