cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accidentally winterized the water heater

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
While pumping the pink stuff through the plumbing, I realized that we forgot to set the bypass. I know some antifreeze got into the water heater- will it be ok through the winter?
I usually remove the anode to drain completely, will that be enough to remove enough pink stuff, or should I flush it now as well? (& How?)

Our spring routine sends bleach through the whole system followed by a couple rinses. Thanks in advance! ??
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
18 REPLIES 18

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree just drain it and be done. Won't hurt either way but you really do need to drain the thing from time to time (Once a year at the minimum).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
A little in there risks it drying out and then taking several days for it all to "rehydrate" and flush out of the heater. I'd get it out now before it dries to a hard pink blob on the bottom of the heater.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
It won't hurt to leave the antifreeze in the tank. Just flush it good and sanitize the system and water heater before using the trailer next spring.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drain & Flush the water heater

No sense in leaving that anti-freeze in the water heater tank....get rid of it now
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31