Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding electric Drain Valve to fresh water drain

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

We completed our 1st trip in our new Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th wheel. I'm already looking at how I can make improvements to make it easier.

This 5th wheel has a rapid freshwater drain. It is located under the RV and works just like a manual waste drain valve. This valve drains the tank in just a couple of minutes.

What I am considering is replacing this valve with an electric Drain Master Valve. I had just purchased one prior to getting the new 5th wheel to put on our old 5th wheel. (We just went to look is all!) I am disabled and this would eliminate the need for me to get under the 5th wheel to drain the tank.

I have attached photos of the current valve. Does this seem like this would work? Anything that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK. To use the electric valve is simple on your model. Remove the existing valve and glue on a 90 degree ABS/PVC pipe that fits your diameter. Once that is done, run a length of PVC/ABS pipe along the outside bottom on the RV to a spot where you can cut a slit in the Darco corrugated underbelly and install the Drainmaster with the valve vertical into the underbelly. That allows the electric valve to be installed at optimum. Make sure you run it where you can brace the added piping and valve. It would be better to leave the existing valve and glue to the valve exit side. That gives you redundancy if the electric valve ever fails----AND THEY DO:B Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The handle should unscrew and will have standard 1/4-20 threads- a coupling nut and threaded rod makes an extension pretty easy- I make it pretty with a length of 1/4" id steel line on the outside of the rod.

Of course, the electric valve exiting the side, with a drivers seat remote would work as well ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here

Thanks to all that responded.

I opened the Drain Master box and the instructions do indicate use on a horizontal pipe not a vertical.

I will look at adding an extension rod to get it closer to the side of the RV at least.

Thanks again!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

MrWizard
Horizontal pipe vertical valve
Gray and black dump setup, motor above pulls gate up

Putting an electric gate under there
The motor went will be hanging on the valve mount, unless you can find a way to add support
Any water that gets past the seals , will go to the motor
And the motor will be exposed to Road Conditions, heat dirt debris rain etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
That's not a good orientation for a Drianmaster- the motor needs to be above the liquid.

Chris,

I'm a little dense in the mornings. How do you get the valve below the liquid and the motor above the liquid?
Drain Master valve.

Thanks
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That's not a good orientation for a Drianmaster- the motor needs to be above the liquid.
-- Chris Bryant

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Adding a cable extension to the existing valve might be easier. It will eliminate having to crawl under but also preserve the underbelly seal around the existing valve.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed