Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGM Mystery Capacity Crash Below 75% SOC UPDATE

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update 28 Sep.

I had an issue with one of my AGMs last Spring where it seemed to act well until all of a sudden it crashed under load when below 75% approx. Now they are all doing it.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29883938.cfm

I decided to wait till Fall to do anything about it all. Well, the other day while camping with the whole bank of 450AH worth (as rated--not actual amount now) everything went well at first--high amp draws on MW, kettle, and toaster, no problem-- until:

Morning voltage 12.7, indicating approx 75% with these batts according to spec sheet, and ran the kettle (90 amps) three times within an hour or so (coffee), no problem with voltage drop or anything, and then toaster 70 amps, and poof! Voltage drop crashed to big amount, inverter quit. Yipes. BUT-- voltage then bounced back to 12.7 and we still had "12v" for all the usual stuff in the RV no problem.

That day, got the batts nearly full via generator and solar and then all the high draw things worked again no problem. Until next morning, same thing again.

A few kettle runs (voltage drop 0.7v each time to 12.2--as low a drop as it ever was when all new, so perfect as the baseline) and then poof! Voltage drop crashed next time, and that was that. Except bounce right back to 12.7 (supposedly about 75% SOC with these batts--and AH count confirmed by -90AH from whatever the capacity really is of the 450 rated.)

And again after that we still had 12v ok at normal low RV voltages for all other things rest of the day--just no high draws allowed.

Ran some tests at home today, and all three AGMs are doing this. Act perfectly with low voltage drops until down to about 75% and then they can't handle high amp draws, but still can do low amp draws.

The change-over is not gradual, but is a drop off a cliff kind of thing for the high amp draws. Ok at low amp draws.

Back when I had old and tired Wet batts, at some point they got so low in capacity (SOC), they could not do the high amps at lower SOC (say 65% instead of down to 50% as before they got tired) without hitting the inverter low voltage. BUT this is way different. There is this sudden crash.

What does it all mean? What has happened inside these AGM batts that makes them do that? (I am not asking what to do, but just want to know what the heck is going on)

Thanks.

PS--I will not attempt the Lifeline recovery thing Mex mentioned in the linked earlier thread. Too scary! And these are not Lifelines that are stronger built than most other AGMs either. So I will toss them if I need to before trying that, even if it would work maybe.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
68 REPLIES 68

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
JiminDenver wrote:
Have you tried breaking up the bank to see if just one of the batteries is the problem?

Yes. The 8D and one of the two 100s for sure and the other 100 is not quite so bad. I ran a repeat kettle test on each one individually at home until it crashed.

It is not like they decline steadily all the way down like they used to. All seems ok for small voltage drop under load until-- oops-- it is not ok.

I found a couple of wiring connections that were warm and tightened those, but it didn't change anything really for voltage drop crashing. Batteries for sure doing that.

I did the 20 hr rate tests on all three last April and only the 8D gave a sign of this problem (as described in the link to the old thread from back then in the OP of this one)

People on here who hate paralleling (I don't agree with them) will say the 8D ate the others this summer, but I don't think so.

I will have to do some backyard runs to try 50-90s without the higher draws and see if I can still at least do that. I don't know what I have here for going camping with at the moment. More tests!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Photo in Profile

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried breaking up the bank to see if just one of the batteries is the problem?
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
I think I would use the inverter method, I would go by watts not amps, the inverter will be better at maintain a constant power use, volts go down amps go up, still the same about of power being used

The inverter method offers that, but OTOH, you can find the right amount of amps better with different combos of lamps and fans to fine tune the amount for various battery 20 hr rates.

Takes a bit of experimenting with how many lights to get the right amount of amps, but each lamp singles and doubles, fluorescent or incand. gives you finer adjustments. (watching the amps on the Trimetric)

Not sure how to find an adjustable 120v load for the inverter. I did it with 120v lamps using different wattage bulbs, but not so good for fine tuning the amps.

I am useless with watts, so I go with amp hours that I can sort of understand. ๐Ÿ˜ž What is the 20hr rate of AH capacity in watts anyway? Too confusing for me!
Photo in Profile

MrWizard
I think I would use the inverter method, I would go by watts not amps, the inverter will be better at maintain a constant power use, volts go down amps go up, still the same about of power being used
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always used the same voltage vs SOC at all ambient temperatures. Is that proper?

The AGM loses 15% capacity at freezing vs at rating temp of 77F, so is it still 13.0v when full? BUT at freezing temp, your charging rate of 14.8 is now supposed to be adjusted upwards to 15.2 volts to compensate for the cold. Voltage going opposite directions there maybe.

Does that matter for voltage vs SOC? The 100% full SOC is at the existing capacity, so "full" is a variable (with temperature changes). So is "full" 13.0 volts no matter what the real full capacity?

--When doing my capacity testing with Wets at the 20 hr rate, where I run the test for up to ten hours, checking SG, I am looking for the 50% "mark" according to the voltage/SG vs SOC table for the battery. Eg 12.1 volts is Trojan's 50%. Some batts use 12.2. My AGMs are more like 12.4 at 50%.

Say it gets down to that SG in 9 hours, I stop, wait for voltage bounce back for an hour (it only goes up a little more if I wait a day) to confirm the 50% voltage "matches" what the SG says, and that's my 50%. I can now say that using the time of 9 hours, the battery is at 90% of rated as new capacity.

I also use the AH counter to compare the count with the 50% mark using SG. It all comes out "right" by cross checking the SG, resting voltage, AH count, and temperature adjusted capacity.

But as Mr Wiz says, with AGMs you have no SG, so you can only go by the AH count from your estimated capacity (which is the thing you are trying to measure !!!)

What I do there is to go to say 8 hours, wait for bounce back and if it goes higher than the 50% value (12.4v for my AGMs --sort of anyway)then I restart the draw and check again at 9 hours. I check more often near the end.

So it all works the same but now can only cross check AH count with voltage after bounce back. Still, it gives you the idea of where your batts are compared with the last time you did it doing the test the same way. (Doing it the same way each time is important. Even if the capacity you get is "wrong", it is how much lower than last time that matters to you)

The glitch in the whole test whether AGM or Wets, is what 20 hr rate do you use? You don't know the capacity (yet). If you use the "as new" capacity for the rate, and the capacity is now less than that for your older battery, do you use a slightly lower amp draw? How much lower? I use the as new rate, which will give me a lower capacity measurement for the test result (Peukert)

I figure my test result at some lower capacity than it really is, will be on the good side for any testing inaccuracies, and by doing it the same way each test, I can tell how the batteries are doing. I run this test once a year to keep track.

BTW it is a problem to run the constant amps 20hr rate for 10 hours using my equipment. Using enough 12v lamps to hit the rate initially will leave you with fewer amps as the test goes on. Lamps dim with lower DC voltage and draw fewer amps. So you have to keep turning on more lights.

Inverter draw using some steady 120v draw is also a problem. The inverter will pull more amps as its DC voltage input declines, so now your initial amps will get too high.

Either way, you can anticipate that amps movement and average it out by starting a bit too high or low and it ends up lower or higher but averages out to the 20 hr rate, sort of. It comes out close enough--as long as you do it the same way as last time that's all you can do with the equipment you have for testing.

--You cannot use the AH counter by zeroing it at the start of the test and watch the count, because you don't know yet what the count will be when down to 50%. You have to use the bounce back voltage (and SG if wets) to say when you are at 50%, then you can just double your AH count to get the capacity (and compare that with the time it took out of 10 hours as a cross check)
Photo in Profile

MrWizard
I really like that wireless amp hour, amps, volts, watts, capacity, meter, I have now
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Much more precise is a watt hour kWh totalizer but avoid hi amperage as it means compensation.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
There is only one way to know SOC with sealed AGM batteries
And that is
Use an Amp Hour counter

The voltage vs SOC graphs for my particular AGMs do have a "bandwidth" or "range" so it is not very useful as a marker for SOC, as such. It seems to come out close enough cross-checking with AH count if I use the middle of the band.

Scroll down to the graph bottom right OCV vs Residual Capacity:

http://www.wegosolar.com/products.php?product=SKR%252d125AGM-Stark-AGM-12V-Solar-Battery-Sealed-125A

Full resting is easy to establish with the voltmeter. Mine is 13.0v, which happens to be in the middle of the band. The middle for 50% is 12.4v, and that seems to correspond with the AH count using my estimated AH capacity as adjusted for temperature.

But it is true the volts vs SOC is something of a guess with that range of values. Of course the true capacity of the bank that is used for zeroing the AH counter is also an estimate.
Photo in Profile

MrWizard
There is only one way to know SOC with sealed AGM batteries
And that is
Use an Amp Hour counter
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Money? Easy? Lithium?

Don't know about anyone else, but those three words add up to the epitome of Oxymorons in my world.

Iโ€™ve been noticing the cost of Li gradually creeping down, and over the long haul of life cycles may even pencil out to be cheaper than their wet cell alternatives...For the most part (e.g. excepting freezing temps) Li performance is quite remarkable...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Money? Easy? Lithium?

Don't know about anyone else, but those three words add up to the epitome of Oxymorons in my world.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
I'd love to do LI. But I have this little "cold" problem. LI just doesn't cut it at -40.
I think the AGM have freeze damage because yes AGM have issues at -40 also.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have a "cold" problem like PT does in Saskabush, but I do have a "slight" money issue with Li batts !!! Yipes.

I can see it for full timing for several years in moderate climes as a good part of the plan, but not for weekend warriors like we are now.

I would like to get four T-1275s out of a golf car at some low price and dish them up with equalizing and all that, then use the heck out of them like I did with the two I had before. Those T-1275s were perfect for what I do.

Perhaps our RV is a "scrubber" ๐Ÿ™‚ (Mex term--not to be confused with English slang term)
Photo in Profile

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
After extensive hands on testing while running a n 11kbtu air conditioner down a single 100a LiFePo4 to as low as 06% SOC (inadvertently so...), it looks like my next and final battery will be Lithium...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Itinerant1,

I'd love to do LI. But I have this little "cold" problem. LI just doesn't cut it at -40.

Itinerant1 wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
Don't know if Li can "take it" , the way I like to do things. AGMs were supposed to take it. They can--except not many times it seems.

Not only can lfp "take it" I do this every day through out the day whether it's sunny/ overcast/ raining. The SOC can/ has been as low as 28% and I still made a 12 cup pot coffee (80a) and used the microwave (150a) for 5 minutes. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.