cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioner stopped working

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
It hums for awhile but does not kick on. It’s a Coleman 48000 series. 15,000btu.
Owners manual says the compressor might not kick on if the filter is dirty but it’s not. Also that there is a high pressure lockout switch. I have not gone up to check out the unit. Any hints about what to test or look for? Just clean it and see if the problem persists?
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
26 REPLIES 26

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I’m just going to ask for an authorized shop. Then see how long it takes to get an appointment. I still think I’ll install the part because I bet it will take weeks.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
EMD360 wrote:
I looked up this part and the 48000 series was not mentioned as compatible. But the parts list for this series lists the same part number. I’m capable of installing this myself but if it does not fix it I won’t be able to use my extended warranty. I bought it because we purchased the RV a year ago from a private party and we were taking it on a long trip. It was a decision based on what if? The deductible is $500. It is unlikely that the repair will cost that much. The insurance year ends on July 22nd. The rear brakes were replaced this winter and they were not covered because it was a maintenance item. Should I call and report this?
Call and ask for a preferred shop to look at and fix the issue. No self diagnosis here.
If you start a repair or modification yourself the warranty could again be denied. They will assume the trouble is related to your fix.

Thats why I stated to NOT tell the service shop you worked on it. There is NO WAY for anybody to tell if someone worked on it previously and even if they asked, you could just state you had a mobile RV tech look at it. In 43 years as a RV tech, I have NEVER been asked if the appliance was worked on previously. Doug

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Since the part won’t get here for several days I think I’ll call on Monday. It will be interesting to see if I can get an appointment. I’ve been waiting for an accident repair since March. Small accident sideswiped a concrete post so won’t involve our insurance.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
EMD360 wrote:
I looked up this part and the 48000 series was not mentioned as compatible. But the parts list for this series lists the same part number. I’m capable of installing this myself but if it does not fix it I won’t be able to use my extended warranty. I bought it because we purchased the RV a year ago from a private party and we were taking it on a long trip. It was a decision based on what if? The deductible is $500. It is unlikely that the repair will cost that much. The insurance year ends on July 22nd. The rear brakes were replaced this winter and they were not covered because it was a maintenance item. Should I call and report this?
Call and ask for a preferred shop to look at and fix the issue. No self diagnosis here.
If you start a repair or modification yourself the warranty could again be denied. They will assume the trouble is related to your fix.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much. I agree to try it. OEM part is $45 at Camping World and might be able to pick up today. I need to find out before Monday so I can call them. No I guess not. Ordered through Amazon but delivery will be next week. Guess there is no real hurry. I did not order the run capacitor too.
Thanks.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. A DIRTY filter will NEVER stop an AC from coming on.
2. I would replace the capacitor and see. That will cost less than $50. probably $20.
3. You CANNOT just report the problem to the ESC company. They will NOT give you any answer you want. What they will tell you is, Go to a Service Center, PAY for a diagnosis, then have the service center call the ESC with Part and Labor cost. Once it is determined it is a covered repair the ESC will issue a Auth number. If the bill is over $500, you pay $500 and the ESC covers the extra amount. If the bill is UNDER $500, you are on the hook for the Diag time(usually $150 to $200) then probably another $75 for a capacitor replacement plus part cost which will probably push the bill close to $400 to $450.
4. Odds are from your description you have a bad capacitor. Go up on top, remove the shroud, have someone start a Cool cycle while up on top. Give it 3 to 5 minutes. IF you do NOT hear the compressor start to hum a few seconds the capacitor is probably bad. IF you hear the compressor try to start(you will hear it) then it is possible the Compressor is locked up, BUT I would spend the few dollars and replace the Start capacitor.
5. IF after the capacitor it does NOT start and you then hear the compressor hum when trying to start, then go to the service center and have them Diag the problem. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU HAVE DONE ANY WORK. IF the compressor is bad, RV AC unit compressors are never replaced, they do not even have them as a replacement part. You will get a new upper AC unit and THAT $500 will be well spent as a new AC with labor will be around $1000 to $1500.
6. BAD NEWS is this. IF you need a new upper unit, odds are they are out of stock due to Covid supply parts issues. So, it may be months before they can get a new unit. Doug

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been awhile, but when I installed my Easy Start, it had me disconnect the soft start capacitor. (Now, the run capacitor stayed connected.) I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
EMD360 wrote:
Would a soft start device work instead? For 6 times the cost is it worth it?

Might but I'd replace the start cap and install the softy start at the same time...
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Would a soft start device work instead? For 6 times the cost is it worth it?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Ranger Smith said.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Coleman-Mach-Hard-Start-Kit-p/48-1759.htm

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Bad start capacitor