cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amps/voltage to trailer brakes

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have several fifth wheel trailers. Brakes work very well on all but the 12000 lb. Cedar Creek.
I have manually adjusted them. Cleaned them. There is current to each and there is breaking to each wheel.
But at the highest setting it feels far from adequate.
Is it a possibility that the trailer brake wire is to light a gauge to deliver the proper level of current?
Or is the weight of the trailer so much more than the other trailers it just feels poor.

On the other trailers the brakes will cause the tires to stand if pulled full. But the RV certainly will not.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
15 REPLIES 15

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ivbinconned wrote:
We have several fifth wheel trailers. Brakes work very well on all but the 12000 lb. Cedar Creek.
I have manually adjusted them. Cleaned them. There is current to each and there is breaking to each wheel.
But at the highest setting it feels far from adequate.
Is it a possibility that the trailer brake wire is to light a gauge to deliver the proper level of current?
Or is the weight of the trailer so much more than the other trailers it just feels poor.

On the other trailers the brakes will cause the tires to stand if pulled full. But the RV certainly will not.

Yes, it is possible the wiring is not of sufficient wire ga and a lot of braking power is being lost through the wire resistance.

12K lbs is certainly a lot of weight but it is do able with standard drum brakes.

I have a 10K lb GVWR open flatbed Utility trailer and I have had loads well above 10K lbs on that trailer and yet the stock drum brakes still have no issue with slowing the entire trailer and truck combo down.. Granted, my flatbed is much shorter at 18ft and the manufacturer used 12 ga wire on it.. Length and wire ga can make a difference.

Try a emergency breakaway test, pull the break away pin then pull forward. The trailer brakes should lock the wheels from turning.

If only minor braking effort is noticed, then checking the trailer wiring is your next item to check/replace.

If wheels do lock, the wiring is good enough for the breakaway but may be still a bit light for the brake controller.

Also do be aware, if you are using an integrated brake control, they are typically programmed to deliver less braking effort at low speeds. Some of the newer IBCs have multiple preset effort braking levels (low/med/high) which allows you to adjust the aggressiveness of the controller.