Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

An observation about Magnum hybrid inverters

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I'm back in the RV for a road trip. I had disconnected the Magnum from the battery bank for storage. I forgot to reconnect.

The Magnum would not pass 120 volts without being connected to the battery bank.

It (and I) survived.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
10 REPLIES 10

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
Just tried the disconnect on my Magnum 3012, still letting 120v through with no battery, also seemed to be outputting 13.2v float. Perhaps it won't switch AC disconnect on with no battery? Need to investigate further, manual makes no mention of requiring battery for anything.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi time2roll,

I have disconnect switches--the Magnum does have a parasitic load--so I disconnect for long term storage. I simply forgot to turn it back on. mea culpa.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Why disconnect in storage? Why not just connect the Magnum back up before you roll?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is just another reason to do a "patch board" installation.

I can move plugs and in 20 seconds bypass the Magnum altogether.
Regards, Don

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, that makes sense.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhere in the manual, I'm pretty sure I recall a warning to never connect the 120v supply without the 12v supply already hooked up.

Glad to hear there weren't any fireworks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm,

No there was twelve volt power to the Magnum remote. Just not to the charge and discharge terminals on the Magnum.
Regards, Don

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I had to guess I'd say it is like the Air Conditioner. Now if your A/C has a Wall Thermostat of if it is a Carrier Air V with a I/R Remote... YOu need 12 volts for CONTROL.. Same with the inverter more than likely.

NOT all are like that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
This came up before when it turned out that you can't run the 12v off the charger in an inverter/charger like you can with a converter and no battery. It seems the inverter/charger needs 12v from the battery to operate at all.

Another good reason to have separate inverter and converter.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting I thought it would function if it had either 120 or 12, not good if something happens to 12v but need 120v and have the whole coach running through the inverter like me.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar