cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any specific time to replace Batteries?

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
I know you should replace tires between 5 to 7 yrs, definitely before the 10 yr mark.
So does anyone change their rigs batteries by a certain time? Ours are about 5 or 6 yrs old now. We live full time in the RV and they are used constantly. Would it be just better to get them tested or test them ourselves? Have not seen the question asked before and was wondering. I see all kinds of info on how but not if there is a when.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.
19 REPLIES 19

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
the trojans in my cargo toy hauler trailer were installed in 2004, went to in-laws in 2014, and just this year are due for replacement. the SG is down to 1.25 probably could get another year out of them.

Trojans in my big trailer were installed in 2009, just equalized today and the SG is 1.28 on all cells in all 4, still good to go.

and these batteries get used and abused. the cargo trailer batteries often were discharged to 25 percent SOC around 300 + times total. Big trailer often sees discharges below 50 percent before recharging when dry camping.

On my cars, my 2004 duramax batteries went 10 years before needing replacment, my 97 Mercedes sedan needed a new battery in 2012, 15 years. My 97 Mercedes roadster PO replaced the battery in 2006 and I replaced it again last year.

Monitor SG after equalizing, that will tell you when you need to replace them.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I think around 2:45 in the afternoon is the best time to change the batteries. It's still plenty light out, and you've gotten the morning stuff done and lunch eaten and are usually not in a bad mood at least at the beginning of the process.

Seriously, though, the answers would very much depend on the kind of batteries, the use you put them to, and what sort of maintenance care you give them. I'd think a more appropriate way of determining when it's time would be to test them and see how they're holding up and then act accordingly.

If you have a motorhome with the emergency start button, you probably can stand to stretch out the interval for the chassis battery more than otherwise since you have a handy built-in jumper cable system.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend years back that changed his car battery every 5 years.
Didn't want the hassle of a dead battery.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Four to four and a half years for me on the TT and three on the Tahoe's. Don't want the issue surfacing on a trip.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
are on full hook up shore power

how often do you have too add water

we full time 'dry camp' off grid, solar and generator

5 yrs is about MAX life for us

there is NO 'measured time' its all about use/abuse and maintenance
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s