Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody know of a super-short jack?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Not for an RV. For my ice machine!

Sometime when working on it I need to lift a corner. It weighs a few hundred lbs, too heavy for me, so I have to find someone to lift it while I stick a block under.

A jack would be nice, but there is only about 4" clearance. I could get something 3.5" tall in there, with care. Even the shortest bottle jacks seem to be about 6.5", though.

Also the jack should not weigh 4,000lbs by itself! My floor jack ALMOST fits, but I am not gonna take it camping :B.

Any ideas?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
10 REPLIES 10

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
If you need to carry a Jack to work on the ice machine, maybe it's time for a new machine. :@

You don't carry a jack for your truck/car/RV?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you need to carry a Jack to work on the ice machine, maybe it's time for a new machine. :@

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
air bag jack: http://www.hyjacks.com/airbags.htm
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II

Power Team 5 Ton Sidewinder Jack with 3/4" Stroke
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
The lever idea I will keep in my back pocket for emergencies 🙂

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Woohoo! I combined you two's suggestions and looked at scissors jacks on HF.

Bingo! 3 3/8" tall!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
How about using a lever and fulcrum... Get the Ice machine up in the air, place a weight on the lever to hold it up and then place the block under the ice machine.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, I have a scissors jack, and I looked at others online and at an auto parts store, but all I found so far are too tall. Do you have one in mind?

Redracer, floor jacks are heavy! That HF one is 71lbs. My little van can't carry it, and I cannot lift itnin and out of van. I use one at s&b, but I never lift it, just wheel it around 🙂

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Scissors jack. A lot of folks stood amazed when I used to use a 2-ton jack on a seven ton motorhome to lift it just far enough to slide in a bottle hydraulic jack. Many of those aluminum racing jacks work great rolling over concrete but hang up badly on pebble asphalt or dirt/gravel.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for a "low profile" floor jack. HF has one that is min. height of 2 5/8" for $140. There may be others that cost less. Or why not a length of say 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" steel tubing and lever it up a little at a time and use some 1x4 or 2x4 to build it up?