cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood camper heater>>> repaired with pictures page 2

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Found manual that says 7900, 8012, 8500 series.
The heater will not keep flame on.
The blower starts, I hear the igniter coming on 3 times every few seconds, can feel some heat coming for a moment from exhaust, but than the heater turns the gas off.
Found yellow jacket nest in exhaust, but cleaning it did not help.
I know household heaters do have board that will flash code, but don't see anything like it here.
How do I troubleshoot the unit?
23 REPLIES 23

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
If your stove or oven aren't working, then I'd look at the regulator.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Older parallel topic about furnace just got updated that the problem was faulty propane regulator, while getting access to the sensors will take disconnecting the propane tubing.
Looks like bigger job than I can put on my Sunday schedule.
Thanks for some pointers guys.

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
Not too familiar with Atwood heaters, but I would venture to say that most (all?) heaters have a thermocouple and your's may either be bad or has moved out of the pilot flames path. It's what gets hot and opens the gas flow (valve). Try moving it into the flames path - happens to the oven too.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Locate the exact model number.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The furnace is sealed and all squeezed in 8" of width, so I am trying to figure out how to take it apart.
The nest was in the exhaust, so long way from sensors.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You should clean the furnace out and make sure that everything is aligned correctly. Compressed air and a vacuum cleaner will help with this process.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the flame sensor has issues.
Clean the furnace area out good. I use compressed air.
On the right side is the ignitor and flame sensor, make sure they are clean and adjusted correctly.
Locate the circuit board. Remove it and clean the multi-wire connector. It is good to put some electrical de-oxidation grease on the contacts before reinstalling.
Just saw you post about cleaning with long screw driver. Not good! You probably knocked flame sensor out of position.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Long screwdriver.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
How did you clean out the nest?