cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning arms question

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
My awning woes continue. I have new fabric for my dometic power awning, and I am wondering about the best way to safely remove the roller bar from the arms myself. The arms are spring loaded to extend, and if I take the roller off when the awning is only about a foot or so away from the camper, the arm will spring forward to the fully extended position, potentially harming someone. I don’t want to wrestle with taking it off from the fully extended position, but I see no locks on the arms to keep them back. Is there a safe way to do this myself?
3 REPLIES 3

Chris_Bryant
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use heavy duty wire ties to keep the arms from extending.
-- Chris Bryant

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
Not worried as much about the roller spring, but rather the arms themselves. They spring out when the tube is disconnected. In all videos I have watched, the awning arms stayed neatly in place, about a foot away from the camper once the roller was removed. Mine do not do that. They spring forward fast to the extended position. I could probably take the awning off from the extended position, but putting the new fabric on and replacing the roller from that position would be exceptionally hard.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
The roller has only one spring in it on the oppisite side of the motor.

Extend it all the way out take the screw out then push out on the roller with your shoulder and let the spring unwind .