cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

back up camera

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back I purchased, and installed, an after-market back up camera (tail gate) and dash-installed monitor (which includes a radio, phone and a GPS map system) for the truck.

The setup has worked flawlessly since that time, until a number of months ago, it started working intermittently, with occasional horizontal static type lines, which increased, then intermittent black screen (with camera not working notice on monitor), and now full black screen every time the vehicle is put in reverse (again same notice on monitor).

As we are likely heading out for a long trip (3000 miles) when/if the border closures lift, I would like to resolve this issue.

Even though I initially removed the old dash radio system and ran the new wiring, installed the camera and the new monitor, I actually know little about troubleshooting these types of systems.

So I am seeking help in this endeavour and any advice on how to determine if the issue is with the camera itself or wiring between the camera and head unit (the head unit still operates radio, phone and mapping system so my layman's mind suggests it is not with that end).

I also have minimal experience with multi meters and such, even though I do own one.

Any help is appreciated.

Marv
15 REPLIES 15

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
If there is power going to the dash unit then it really only can be the camera/wire input. Usually the camera wire and camera are wired together. With a plug.
The defect probably lies in that unit.

Can you buy a new camera/wire part?

David