Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batt charging Q - PD9245; and adding solar

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings;

I am trying to get my little Rialta up to speed for full-timing. And need advice/help on charging my batteries and adding solar.

I have 2 27 group walmart marine/deep batteries - about 1 year old - both in good condition.
I just added a Trimetric 2030rv battery monitor.
I have a PD9245 charger/converter which I installed several years ago. Am not fully convinced it's operating properly.

Q: How long should it take to fully charge my batteries? My trimetric indicated my batteries were at 12.3 volts. So I fired up the gen (onan) to recharge. I've been running it for nearly 4 hours now and have not yet hit "full"; the PD is on 'boost' - according to the monitor charging at 14.1 at now +1.15 amps (started at about 5 amps) - no current draw. Seems to be taking toooo long!

I use very little power and would like to add solar to minimize gen use. Have spent several hours reading now. Could probably spend Days reading and still have Qs. I would like enough solar power to: recharge my laptop battery (not necessarily run the computer); run small portable dometic fridge/freezer (pulls about 3 amps when already at set temp - so only runs periodically); . . gee . . my internet access thingy (pulls 1 amp w/ small inverter; a light or two at night (pulls 1 amp each) . . don't need much else. (amps from battery monitor which each item on individually (no other draw)). Oh - and the furnace - at night - looks like the fan pulls about 3.5 amps but only kicks on 5-6 times a night for 2-3 min.

How much solar power would I need? Any recs for 'portable' panels - not mounted.

thanks so much!!

Kelly
Rialta 01FD twins
currently in Quartzsite, AZ
22 REPLIES 22

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How many amp-hours is the battery bank?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
The Onan and PD are not a very good mix. It's been documented here (with scope plots) that the Onan ac voltage severely deforms from the PD load. The result is slow charging.

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
If you see 14.4 almost immediately on the TM all is probably fine. I almost never see 14.4 - it is rare

If voltage steadily rises over maybe an hour you should initially see 40+ amps. Could be the wire is a bit long and thin. Voltage can rise over a few minutes from say 14 to 14.2. Best amps I've seen were 18 in - but that is rare also. Wire from the PD looks to be 8g out of the PD; where or what it does from there - I have no idea. I'd have to tear half the RV apart (slight exaggeration) to tell.

Thanks!

Kelly

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
hondochica wrote:
Let's try a different browser:

To smkettner I have seen 14.4 on the trimetric when charging. I have never seen 40 amps, but then I don't generally run the batteries below about 12.3 (70% +-); most amps in I've seen was about 16. I ran gen >6 hours till amps in dropped below 1.

Kelly
If you see 14.4 almost immediately on the TM all is probably fine.

If voltage steadily rises over maybe an hour you should initially see 40+ amps. Could be the wire is a bit long and thin.

Browser is not the issue on posting. It is RV.net server. More specifically the RV.net portal. Use the woodalls portal if trouble with RV.net and you will post every time.
(this post made through woodalls)

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
hondochica wrote:
Tried to post these replies yesterday, but kept getting 'connection reset' - so hopefully, this will go through today:

No go! Why can't I post a reply that's more than 30 words!!?? Arrrgghhhh

Kelly

When I try using the percentage symbol in a post the server will disconect every time. Were you using the percentage symbol in your post?

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
YESSSSS!!! We have lift off! Firefox wouldn't let me post more than 1 message a day. How strange . .

@Bend - yes, I have the wizard dongle. Thing is . . I can run the gen for 6 hours and the wizard will still be in 'boost" mode; but Trimetric reads <14.4 v; sometimes only 13.6. I assumed it's reading 'volts in' - but maybe it's reading battery voltage?

I swear this RVing is harder than owning a house!

Kelly
smilin' in Quartzsite

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
Woweezowwww! 2 posts in a row! I'm on a roll . .

@wildtoad No doubt full-timing in a Rialta is a challenge. Fortunately it is only me, my dog and my cat - still a full load! I'll manage!

@NinerBikes - will do that search. I'm not sure I can take these batteries to 16v - have never seen that anywhere. Seems like 160w to 200 is the way to go for solar. Thanks for your time

Kelly

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
OK - let's see if I can do 2 in a row from google

To rjfishin - I assumed it started out at low amps cuz the batteries were still at 70% or better. Is there a way to determine (a service center I can take it to) if the PD is working properly?? Still my Trimetric does not think the batteries are "full" - but then not sure the default P1 value of 14.3 is what I should use. It (in part) determines "full" status. Still, I'll watch the volts to decide when to recharge. Thanks

Kelly

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
Let's try a different browser:

To smkettner I have seen 14.4 on the trimetric when charging. I have never seen 40 amps, but then I don't generally run the batteries below about 12.3 (70% +-); most amps in I've seen was about 16. I ran gen >6 hours till amps in dropped below 1.

Kelly

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to post these replies yesterday, but kept getting 'connection reset' - so hopefully, this will go through today:

No go! Why can't I post a reply that's more than 30 words!!?? Arrrgghhhh

Kelly

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
hondochica wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Buy a $10 digital voltmeter (or borrow one) and check the voltages. You may find a substantial voltage drop in the PD wiring.
I presume you mean check the voltages at the battery while charging? I have an old analog voltmeter - will it suffice? - and thanks!
I mean check at the charger and the battery to see the voltage drop due to wiring. Do this when bulk charging as the current will be higher resulting in more voltage drop.

For battery voltages a digital voltmeter is by far the best due.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Our usage is similar to yours, 160 watts of solar and the Trimetric shows between 102% to 104% usually by noon From a 90 to 95% SOC. Last winter while in AZ even with the panels tilted it took all day to recover. My Fluke DVM agrees with the Trimetric voltage readings +/- 0.001 volt. I have a 2 awg from the batteries minus to the shut. The other side of the shut has 2 awg to a common tie point (Blue Sea terminal) and a 4 awg to the TS-45 CC. I removed the piece of junk WFCO converter and have no plans to replace it.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Bend
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you have the Wizard dongle plugged into the converter and are using it for the 4 hour 14.4v bulk charge.

A digital voltmeter will be beneficial. They are inexpensive.

hondochica
Explorer
Explorer
Can't seem to post . . so trying in small segments ..

Wow! Thanks for the comments! Where to start?

Boon Docker wrote:
I ran 200 watts of solar (MPPT controller) feeding a 225 ah battery bank and the battery bank never goes below 75 percent SOC by morning. The batterys are back to 100 percent SOC by early afternoon.
Cool - thanks for the info

CA Traveler wrote:
Buy a $10 digital voltmeter (or borrow one) and check the voltages. You may find a substantial voltage drop in the PD wiring.
I presume you mean check the voltages at the battery while charging? I have an old analog voltmeter - will it suffice? - and thanks!

Kelly
Rialta 01 FD
currently in Quartzsite - hangin'