cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries not charging after long road trip.

Islandsmith
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a 5,700 mile tour and along the way encountered some extremely rough roads in Michigan and Indiana that delivered some extremely jarring hits. We had full services everywhere we went so this problem didn't present itself until we got home but it seems that our rigs batteries are not being charged by the truck or when plugged into 120V power.

I'm assuming (I know, dangerous...) that something shook loose along the way and I'm looking for some guidance on where to start my investigation and how to isolate the problem.

The trailer is a 2005 Jayco Jayfeather 21J if that makes any difference.

Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction.

Peter

๐Ÿ™‚
A fox can whip a skunk but is it worth it?
7 REPLIES 7

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget batteries are a bunch of lead, a lot of mass.

Suspended in a liquid and subjected to paint shaker road conditions an already weakened plate structure simply falls to the bottom of the sediment chamber.

Down here roads that make an interior rearview mirror jiggle down and wedge against the windshield kill a lot of batteries. In that case a soft sprung vehicle or AGM battery is a rational fix.

The six point five volt battery is done. Like a blood pressure reading of thirty over five in a human being.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Islandsmith wrote:
The tester shows the converter charging at 13.7V and after disconnecting I get 12.7V across both batteries. One of the batteries, however, is only at 5.7V when not on the charger, the other is right at 6.5. Do I have a bad battery? This is an area where I don't have much expertise in terms of knowing what the "right" voltage should be. No manual in my stack of stuff either...
Are these 12V or 6V? If 12V, they're both dead.

Islandsmith
Explorer
Explorer
The tester shows the converter charging at 13.7V and after disconnecting I get 12.7V across both batteries. One of the batteries, however, is only at 5.7V when not on the charger, the other is right at 6.5. Do I have a bad battery? This is an area where I don't have much expertise in terms of knowing what the "right" voltage should be. No manual in my stack of stuff either...

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the TT converter should do that
Get a cheap Multi meter and check the batt voltage, then plug to shore power and check again.
If the converter is charging the voltage should go from 12 volts to 13plus
You need a meter anyway .
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Islandsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. To clarify, doesn't it also charge from being plugged into the 120V supply as well?

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I would use a silicon spray for electrical instead of WD 40 first. The I would start searching for re-settable fuse, circuit breakers.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely is road scum in the trailer plug
Clean with wd40 and use a meter or test light to be sure you haven't blown a truck fuse
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin