Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery bank and inverter sizing

jgkurz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I recently installed a new solar panel on my camper that is capable of 9.8amps at full sunlight. The controller is a MPPT type that seems to work well and keep my batteries charged up. I have two new 12v deep cycle Exide batteries that have a combined rating of 322 reserve capacity and 185 Amp Hours @ 20hrs. My inverter is capable of 1500w continuous with 3000w peak. I have no intention of running my ceiling A/C on the inverter but it should work for a short while. The compressor need 8amps and the fan needs 2.5amps so 10.5 amps total. 12v x 11amps is only 132 watts. I can turn my A/C fan on but as soon as I start the compressor the inverter drops saying low voltage. Shouldn't I have enough battery and inverter to run the A/C for a short period?

Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
An inverter on standby only draws a fraction of an amp, but with time, this can be more AH than you can afford. Many inverters have a remote on/off switch on a telephone -like wire to bring inside the rig so it is convenient to operate instead of trying to get at the inverter, often mounted where you can't get at it easily.

The extra draw on top of the TV's draw on the 1500w inverter vs a 300w (due to efficiency curves --nothing to do with the standby draw) won't matter, because the inverter is only on when you are using it. Not enough time to build up AHs.

The battery drops its voltage under load and the inverter "sees" the battery voltage. When that hits 11v the inverter alarms. The bigger your battery bank, the more load it can take without hitting 11v,

Also the battery state of charge works the same way. If your load will drop the voltage by 1.0v, then if you start with 12.7, voltage will drop to 11.7 well above alarm.

But if you start with the batts at half full at 12.1v, then your voltage will be 11.1 right off. With the load now running, the voltage will drop more as amps are drawn, so your 0.1v margin disappears quickly and there you are at 11v with the alarm sounding.

Point being, with the two 12s and the 1500w inverter, if you had proper fat wiring inverter-battery, you could indeed run a smaller ("700w") MW briefly (but maybe long enough for the job at hand), but with two 12s only if they are near full to start with.

With four batts you can be near half full and still stay above 11v at the start
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
jgkurz wrote:

I was hoping my solar panel would easily overcome any inverter draw.
It will depending on what size solar panel you have.

jgkurz
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
And don't forget, if you are not using the inverters capability, it is still drawing down your batteries more than a smaller , "right sized" inverter would.

Inverters are not equalized efficiency.

I was hoping my solar panel would easily overcome any inverter draw.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
And don't forget, if you are not using the inverters capability, it is still drawing down your batteries more than a smaller , "right sized" inverter would.

Inverters are not equalized efficiency.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on RJ and smk. I'll also add that such a large inverter is not needed for your use. I power a bunch of stuff with just a 300W unit.

jgkurz
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. I think I'll use 30amp fuse just to be sure. I can't see needing more amperage than that.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
jgkurz wrote:
Running high amperage devices such as AC, Microwave, Coffee Pot was not a requirement for this project, only a test. I just want to use my 22" LED TV, cell charger, and other small devices with the inverter.

Then fuse the #6 at about 60 to 75 amps on the positive near the battery.
I would have recommended 300w max.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it like it is then. You can wire size to the max current you will use. Nothing says you have to wire to the capability of the inverter.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

jgkurz
Explorer
Explorer
Running high amperage devices such as AC, Microwave, Coffee Pot was not a requirement for this project, only a test. I just want to use my 22" LED TV, cell charger, and other small devices with the inverter.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
X2, still not enough. #6 is only good for 102 amps. You need 2/0 minimum to be safe. 2/0 is good for 280 amps which will cover the surge for your high draw appliance. If you do not wish to change your wiring, do not run any appliances that see more than your wires rating. Seriously, you can melt your wiring this way. BTW, I touched on insulation ratings. My numbers are based on 105C insulation. This number is on your wiring. Lower numbers have less amp capacity.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
jgkurz wrote:
Correction: I am using 6awg wire....

Still not nearly enough, read your manual.

I use 4 gauge to power a 400/800 watt inverter and have it fused at 75 amp. 800 watts divided by 12 volts is 66 amp.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

jgkurz
Explorer
Explorer
Correction: I am using 6awg wire but I get the point on the danger of using high load devices.

Thanks everyone for schooling me. Such a great forum!

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
8 gauge is not near enough. No inverter manufacturer recommends that small of wire size for their large inverters. How many feet of wire is that #8? Even at 1 foot, you're losing nearly .2 volt. Also, with draw, that wire could melt considering it's only rated to 68 amps and that's with 105C insulation. Stop using high draw appliances immediately until you can upgrade to larger wiring. Like smk said, 2/0 is the minimum.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note: Breakers are not instantaneous reacting. Also, note VOLT AMPS is different than watts. Used for Alternating Current calculations. You have a good system for toast and coffee and in my book that's pretty durned important in the morning ๐Ÿ™‚