cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery charge/discharg plot

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Got a new 16-bit A/D. I connected it to the battery to measure voltage (blue plot) and to the 100A battery shunt to measure battery current (pink plot). Positive current is going to the loads (out of the battery) while negative current is charging the battery from solar. The left y-axis is voltage and the right y-axis is current. X-axis unit time is minutes.

Once the GC2 batteries charge to 13.5V, the voltage slope drastically increases. That's a sign the battery resistance has increased. As battery voltage reaches 14.3V the charge controller starts to decrease current. Excess current (the oscillation shown in the plot) is used to charge the chassis battery.

5 REPLIES 5

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, both. I think the charge controller dropped down to 13.4V. Hooked up the A/D to a Arduino data logger around noon and turned on about 11A of loads to pull battery down. Once the loads were removed, the solar charged the batteries with 4.2A.

I'm able to measure both charge and discharge current because I'm using the ADS1115 in differential mode.

dclark1946 wrote:
Why does the battery voltage start out at 13.4? Just completed charging or are you just showing off your new A-D?

Dick

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. With an extra laptop this trip I'm going to create a history of the 24 cells. What I should do is examine the feasibility of a 12-channel A to D. using E which is enough information for me.

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Why does the battery voltage start out at 13.4? Just completed charging or are you just showing off your new A-D?

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

Chakara
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool - thanks!
- 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 6spd / Pacbrake / Airbags
- 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel
- SOLD: 2007 Keystone Raptor 299MP 33' 5th Toyhauler
- SOLD: 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS 28'
- SOLD: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe
- SOLD: 2007 Dodge Dakota fiberglass topper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks Salvo.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.