cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery charging> which is best

gocamping14
Explorer
Explorer
which method of charging a battery would be the fastest and most efficient when off the grid.

a. plugging the camper into a generator, running of course. (110v line)

b. plugging camper into the drive vehicle and running the engine.
(reg. 7 pin connection)

c. using a battery charger accessory on a generator running.

your thoughts, thanks............

ss
17 REPLIES 17

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
But in short nothing on earth beats constant voltage charging for minimum time spent generator running

Annoying hum

Having to remember it's on

Gasoline Cost

Hauling gasoline

Having to refill the tank

Vector, Outback, Magnum, Vehicle alternator, you name it - they all come up losers in a race with a qualified power supply operating at the correct voltage.

If I had been limited to gizmo charging of my battery bank I would have starved to death or been the victim of a self-inflicted gunshot wound long ago.

With a generator Time Is Money. Period

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
gocamping14 wrote:
which method of charging a battery would be the fastest and most efficient when off the grid.

(reg. 7 pin connection)

ss

a) if you mean charging with the rig's on-board converter, then Abs voltage is everything. For example, at 14.6v (boost), my pm4b-45 would be putting out it's 45a limit, but when it dropped to 13.6 Vabs, current would drop to about 19a, and taper from there... thus adding several hours to the charge time.

b) charging via the vehicles alternator requires heavy cabling, otherwise excessive voltage drop will have the same effect as mentioned above, in a).

c) generators are very limited in their charging-amperage abilities, compared to the size of ac-dc charger they can support. I think someone said an eu2000i charges at 8a... compare that to running a 60a, or even a 75a(pfc) charger... 2-3 hrs vs. a day or two.

The problem is, there's not much available in the way of chargers, in the 50-100a range, so converter-chargers are usually the least expensive way to go. But you need one that holds a decent Abs Voltage (say 14.4-15.0v). On the flip side, there are lots of adjustable voltage bench power supplies available in the say 10-36a range, at very reasonable prices. And a good, reliable 40a portable is hard to find... the vec1093dbd being the leader of its class, it seems.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another reason to move the batteries inside.. more stable temperatures for charging and no decrease in available AH due to the cold.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lessee----

Now what little inexpensive critter can be voltage adjusted easily to render constant voltage charging on an amperage scale that is meaningful?

Hmmmmmm?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen 13.1 to 13.9V float based on temperature.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
14.8V at 25C or 75F. See a battery manufacturers recommendations for temperature corrected charge voltages, if you want the absolute correct answer. I camp in temperate regions, not too hot, or not too cold, in my 3 season travel trailer. 14.8V is near enough for me in most all situations. Might be light on a cold morning, but that's the whole idea, charge first thing in the morning, and temperature is less likely to be an issue on that 14.8V recommendation.

MrWizard
Yes, temperature correction enters the equation. 14.8 volts is not appropriate when camping at Point Barrow on Valentine's Day,
Too cold need higher voltage

nor Death Valley Junction on the 4th of July.
Too hot need lower voltage

It's chemistry.. The reactions between the electrolyte and the plates, change ,
Cold equals slower recharge, need more voltage to compensate and speed up recharge,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
(A battery) singuar. Implying a finite capacity.

(Fastest Time) Stopwatch. Another singular parameter.

(Generator) assuming an implication that run-time enters the picturr for too many reasons to list.

Niner has it right. Singular fixed absorbsion voltage charging is so much faster, there is no competition. No matter how fixed voltage charging is accomplished it recharges a lead acid battery so much faster, it renders the thought of alternative methods as being absurd. Twomethods of monitoring - terminate the charge when all cells are bubbling lightly OR when amperes taper to a predetermined value.

For charging when shore power is not limited, Gyro Gearloose smart chargers have a shot as being an intelligent alternative. But not when time is a prime parameter to meet. Couple a spring wound timer calculated to a discovery of optimum recharge time window plus an ammeter and that is the OPTIMUM way to recharge a battery.

But 14.8 volts must be reached the instant the charger comes online. With a large battery bank this can entail hundreds of amperes.

The power source must have enough wattage to meet the energy needs to render constant 14.8 volts.

Yes, temperature correction enters the equation. 14.8 volts is not appropriate when camping at Point Barrow on Valentine's Day, nor Death Valley Junction on the 4th of July.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you already have "big amp" conv/charger, the fastest.....and inconvenient way to charge is good jumper cables from TV alternator at fast idle.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
gocamping14 wrote:

(reg. 7 pin connection)

ss

Answer depends on converter:

Magnetek 6300 UPGRADE to Progressive Dynamics (replace just the convrter part with a 4600) Then plug in

Parallex 7300 Use a smart charger

Any decent 3-stage charger/converter Plug in RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Between the converter and battery charger(s) there is also the question of what volt-amps (watts, sort of) the generator can supply.

If lots, then you can have more charger(s) amps than the converter's amps. Unless you have a 100 or so amp charger that is PF corrected and your charger(s) are not PF corrected and perhaps total less amps anyway.

Then there is the voltage limit of the converter and the charger(s) to compare, despite the amps "size" to compare, where 14.x beats 13.x in volts for what amps you get.

Also a slight matter of DC set-ups /connections/wire gauges/ length of wires to compare and their levels of 120v AC inputs wrt actual 120v. Is one on a long extension cord for 120 and another on a short one? Is one on a Honda generator at 125V?

Must be something else... ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The fastest would be a combo of the converter and a battery charger.

Or you could do an "end run" and get a decent solar system in which case often folks find their generator use drops to zero.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
As the others mentioned there are too many variables on the chargers but most converters will charge faster than most off the shelf battery chargers.

The 7in would be slow, thou maybe faster than some off the shelf battery chargers.

I can get up to 55A from my converter, 15A from my truck, 10A from my automotive battery charger, and 8A from the accessory charger on my Honda 2000.

Those are all max charge rates.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
What ever charger, if when dry camping, will give you 14.8V at the terminals for flooded lead acid batteries, for an hour or two, when you need it most.