Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Disconnect Solenoid Fuse

jdrocci
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PLQ

Under the driver seat on the outside is a compartment with a box that contains the battery disconnect solenoid. This solenoid has a nominal 5A fuse in the actuator circuit. Several times, I've lost all DC power to the house and found the cause to be this fuse. The last time it happened, I replaced the fuse with a 10A unit. Yesterday, with the MH parked in my driveway on shore power and the AC running, I locked up the unit and went inside my residence for the evening. This morning when I opened the MH for the day, I found all 12VDC circuits dead and the solenoid fuse blown again, This seems to have happened with no known stimulus.

Is this kind of failure well-known and if so, how/why does it happen?

Joe
Joe
Lansdale, Pa
1988 Pace Arrow 34L
40 REPLIES 40

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
RV lite is a supplier of RV custom products part number RVCV1002. RVC- 1002Appears to be a magnetically held relay
Before throwing money at it, disconnect small wires from relay ant try it again. If fuse blows, then issue is switch or wiring.
Fuse doesn't blow it is in relay.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

joesmail84
Explorer
Explorer
I think I need to switch out the solenoid but am hoping it is nothing else. The switch is not it and if jumped for a second correctly, it latches to on. + to + and - to -.

joesmail84
Explorer
Explorer

joesmail84
Explorer
Explorer
This one is magnetic. I have jumped the 10 gauge wires and that works but obviously not a great solution. I almost connected those two with a switch and was going to deal with it like that but I want it working and that doesn't seem safe.
https://rveliteparts.com/products/rev-rv-10101358-battery-disconnect-solenoid?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=high_performers&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwxr2iBhBJEiwAdXECw_bhfK4Z_Xc0JEniBl7UvKwZqtVs0VtFAyMFyi6Cy9iA1QxS8QoCHhoCH0kQAvD_BwE

MrWizard
Battery disconnect relays are almost always a "Latching Relay" only monetarily powered to close it or open it,
The emergency start relay which connects house batteries to start battery, for emg self jump start, is always open unless you hold the emg start button closed, it stays engaged as long as you hold/push the button, any schematic will show electrical control wires going to each type of relay,
But the schematic doesn't describe how that relay operates, for that info you have look up the part number and description of how it works, unless you already have that knowledge and experience ,
By definition a relay is a power control switching device and all operate from electrical power, but some relays only need momentary power to open or close and stay in that condition until the next command pulse which will reverse the condition, others have built in time delay and open or close only after the timer has run its course snd completed its cycle, those are used in machinery control and not RV battery disconnect
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
joesmail84 wrote:
I found a schematic and mine is magnetically held but there are multiple other solenoids next to it. I haven't found a wiring schematic. 2003 tioga 31n

Please post a pic of those solenoids. The easiest way to determine WHICH of those solenoids is the battery disconnect is to use a 10 gauge jumper wire and connect the 2 large side posts together. IF the battery system gets power to the interior of the RV, THAT is your disconnect solenoid.
Also, the solenoid, does it have 2 LARGE side posts and 1 center small post or 2 large and 2 small posts. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Would you post the exact model number of the relay and not RV Elite number?
Also the schematic you found.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
did you pull the switch out of wall. It should have six terminals with a jumper diagonally across two corners.
Center two should have the 12-volts across them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is there some numbers on the battery control center?
Tiogas in your years normally have a mechanically held relay, not magnetically or electrically held.
Many look like this.
battery disconnect relay
diagram of mechanically held relay

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

joesmail84
Explorer
Explorer
I found a schematic and mine is magnetically held but there are multiple other solenoids next to it. I haven't found a wiring schematic. 2003 tioga 31n

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have been unable to get schematic for the relay you have. Some MHs have an electrical held relay controlled by a small control relay.
Have you tried to get wiring diagrams for your coach?
Is there any other numbers on the relay?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

joesmail84
Explorer
Explorer
So it was not the switch. Either switch works to turn off the solenoid but blow the fuse turning it on. I tried a 5 amp fuse and it failed as well. I think I have a short in the wiring from the switch to solenoid or the solenoid is bad and requires to much draw to turn it on. hence, blowing the fuse.

joesmail84
Explorer
Explorer
it is a spring loaded one.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
joesmail84 wrote:
Thank you both for that info. The 3 amp fuse is on the 12 volt buss board right next to the solenoid/batteries/wiring. I am not sure what my system is called? 2003 Tioga 31N. I searched everywhere for specific information and this thread was the closest. Only info I have is this:For REV Group class A motorhomes / RVs such as American Coach, Holiday Rambler, Fleetwood and Monaco Coach. RV Elite part number 08536963.

The ON/OFF switch. Is it spring loaded? Doug