cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery solenoid isolator

alternativeclim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1979 Monaco with the Ford E-350 chassis. The secondary battery for the coach doesnโ€™t get charged while the engine is running. Does anyone know where the power comes from to energize the solenoid that allows the alternator current to the battery? There isnโ€™t a transfer switch inside the cab to energize the solenoid. I checked all the fuses, they are good. I can manually energize the solenoid with a battery charger and it clicks as advertised. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

alternativeclim
Explorer
Explorer
I can actuate the solenoid manually with a battery charger applying power to the small side post terminal. The solenoid will click and if the engine is running, the alternator current flows to the battery.

The oem wire coming from the fire wall to the side post terminal has no power, even if the engine has been running for a half hour...Iโ€™m thinking that it may be wired into the ignition switch since none of the fuses are bad at the fuse box, but if thatโ€™s the case how come I donโ€™t have any other issues...

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
alternativeclimate wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I like that Sure Power battery separator. I'll have to pull the instrument cluster and trace the solenoid power wire back to its origin. If I canโ€™t find the source, then I'll run a new power wire from the fuse box.

If the solenoid is bad running a new wire to it won't help.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

alternativeclim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I like that Sure Power battery separator. I'll have to pull the instrument cluster and trace the solenoid power wire back to its origin. If I canโ€™t find the source, then I'll run a new power wire from the fuse box.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Had similar problem -- my solenoid was in engine compartment - my fix was to run a wire from E350 fuse panel through a rubber grommet on fire wall to the solenoid. I purchased one of those piggy back fuses and used the radio slot as it is energized when the ignition key is turned on. 5 minute DIY job.
Kevin

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Your inquiry is the PERFECT example of why the item below exists. No switches and no strings tied around your finger.

Google your favorite RV parts supplier and ask them for an automatic battery separator.

NO SWITCHES NEEDED. NO DASH WIRES

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is charged through a solenoid which is activated by the ignition. Several years ago it stopped charging the house battery. The problem was worn out contacts in the solenoid. Replaced it and all is fine.

The solenoid had been installed upside down. I mounted the new one right side up. It has been good ever since. Don't know if that caused the problem or not.

If you can measure the voltage across the solenoid contacts with the engine running, it should be close to zero.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory