cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery that can be part of the structure of a vehicle

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stumbled upon this interesting article -- the researchers have developed a battery that can also serve as a structural member. Thus, the battery may no longer be a dead weight but instead is part of the vehicle. They don't mention RVs, but it seems like this product might fit our needs, if it ever pans out:

Massless or structural battery article

Just another possible development to watch!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
18 REPLIES 18

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the industry may well jump on this technology.. here is why.
Batteries have a "life span" none of them last forever. So you now have a built in clock to "Dead car" and if it's part of the frame. you need to get not just a new $7,000 (Pirus) battery but a whole new car.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I can see why car manufacturers would like this -- it solves the "How much is it going to cost to replace the battery in 10 years" question because when the frame is the battery, the entire car is disposable, you have to buy a new one when the battery ages out.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I hope it works at some level. Going to be hard to get it into the new gigapress.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
profdant139,

There was a car call the "Gee Whiz" produced in India and sold in the UK which had a tubular frame--and inside were the batteries. Made by the Reva company.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.