I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
9 REPLIES 9

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
A while back I was looking to purchase some of that 3 wire ribbon cable to splice in the middle of the 6 foot 5 inch cable as I need about 9.5 feet from prospective HES location and display location.

Its part of the reason I tested mine, put it back in the box, and mostly forgot about it.

Was kind of hoping something would show up, but I do have some cat5 cable to sacrifice.

I do wonder about interference, since mine will be primarily for when engine is running, and if some ferrites/ twisting the cables would be beneficial to help prevent incorrect readings.

Hoping to run the cable once, not find it getting interference/ giving wacky readings, and then trying to remedy.

What would be ideal from a RF factor? twisted pairs ferrites and a sheathed shielded cable?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEX on my other brand I added CAT5 long 10-12 feet leads. Had a bunch of CAT5 cable left over from another project. Didn't see any difference... I am going to do same thing with these - probably cut the short cable in half and then solder and heat shrink three longer wires to it as needed...

In my working days we used to have some field building way out in the field a mile or so and series two meters using a couple of miles of cables. Get same reading on both meters.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MrWizard
its Not phone cable
might be 20ga

its common electronic jumper grade ive seen on other devices

I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Roughly 24 gauge?

MrWizard
Comes with two leads, a little short one and one that is 2 meters long
It's a three wire ribbon, should be able to cut it and splice some comm cable in the middle if needed
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
How impossible is it to extend the donut leads?

Mex, I cut the supplied short lead (12" I think) and added 30' of CAT 5 cable. It still works as designed. Go for it!

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
How impossible is it to extend the donut leads?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
These are pretty neat hall effect samplers... I got two a month or so ago...

I am going to attempt to use a different LCD panel meter movement. My meter panel has a larger meter that I want to use. Hope my scale works ok haha...

I will be remote my current meter about 10-feet away and will be using telephone multi-pair 4-wire cable... I will have to add my cable between one of the wire jumpers they added... Glad they added two jumpers haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
These are sweet.

One thing in their instruction sheet is that they say each HES is calibrated to its display, so if buying more than one make sure to keep them together and not mix one HES with the other display.

I found the voltmeter on mine being 0.2v off, but the amps were close enough, and I do not plan on on allowing it to display voltage anyway.

There is only a 0.2a resolution. Not really a factor for me but could be for someone else.