cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Water Tank Leak

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small leak on a corner seam in my black water tank on my 5th wheel.
Is this something I can repair myself with JB Weld or a similar product?

Thank in advance for your help!!
Tony
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
11 REPLIES 11

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Bayley wrote:
I'm a little confused on the type of plastic the tank is made of.
I contacted the manufacturer of my trailer and they said it was LLDPE. In my research it says LLDPE is white or yellowish in color. My tank is black in color. My guess is it is ABS....does that sound correct?

Yes confusing, need to be careful. Elkhart plastics Inc is a large manufacturer of RV holding tanks and their black tanks are black but made from polyethylene. Could only guess they add the color as they are not using virgin material??

https://www.recpro.com/8-gallon-rv-holding-tank/

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
"polyethylene resin
These blackwater tanks are made from rotationally-molded polyethylene resin that provides strength, long service life, and great protection against cracks, rust, and corrosion. Blackwater holding tanks are manufactured by Dura-Cast and Ronco. RV septic tanks can be used for most recreational vehicles makes and models."

ABS tanks have kind of gone away years ago. Most tanks are this material above and COLOR has no bearing on what material they are made of. A good tell if you suspect ABS is to look at the 3 inch exit fitting of the tank. ABS tanks will show/have ABS cement where the pipe goes in. IF you have a Hose Clamp, it is not ABS. Doug

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little confused on the type of plastic the tank is made of.
I contacted the manufacturer of my trailer and they said it was LLDPE. In my research it says LLDPE is white or yellowish in color. My tank is black in color. My guess is it is ABS....does that sound correct?
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If the crack is on a bottom corner, odds are any type repair will be futile, due to the tank flexing when full and empty. But, it does not hurt to try. Make sure the area is CLEAN and DRY. Use sandpaper to rough up the ABS. Then apply the plastic glue material WITH a small piece of standard fiberglass screen material to strengthen the repair and prevent the tank from flexing. Is this a CRACK? If so, you will want to drill a small hole at the end of each end of the crack to prevent the crack from continuing. Doug

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
12thgenusa wrote:
ABS tanks can be easily, successfully, HF plastic wielder and inexpensively plastic welded. I've had several repaired by a professional. I see Harbor Freight offers a plastic welder, but I don't know if it is a worthwhile tool or how much skill is involved.

I used the HF plastic wielder with good success. I first melted the wire screening over the cleaned area to be repaired, then added repair plastic over it.
I used one of these to repair an old lawnmower fuel tank a few years ago. It's still holding up.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
12thgenusa wrote:
ABS tanks can be easily, successfully, HF plastic wielder and inexpensively plastic welded. I've had several repaired by a professional. I see Harbor Freight offers a plastic welder, but I don't know if it is a worthwhile tool or how much skill is involved.

I used the HF plastic wielder with good success. I first melted the wire screening over the cleaned area to be repaired, then added repair plastic over it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plasti-Mend is also my choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do what time2roll says.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Black ABS can be repaired with a product called Plasti-Mend. If the damage is due to stress flexing on a corner consider adding some sheet ABS to stiffen the repair.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
ABS tanks can be easily, successfully, and inexpensively plastic welded. I've had several repaired by a professional. I see Harbor Freight offers a plastic welder, but I don't know if it is a worthwhile tool or how much skill is involved.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.