cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Both AC's on one side....

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2108 Montana 345RL fifth wheel.

Tomorrow night we'll be using it with a generator, 8500 watt.

I "test drove" it today and when monitoring the EMS display, I see that both Ac's are on the same side of the panel.... if course I could see that in the panel also.

My generator has a L14-30 plug, so I'm using an adaptor that I plug into the 50 amp trailer cord.

So I'm pulling ~36 amps on the left side of the panel and 2 amps on the right side of the panel.

Other than "it doesn't really matter", why are the two largest draws on the same line? Would it be better to move one to the other side or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks....
3 REPLIES 3

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Really depends on how other loads are wired. If the water heater, microwave, converter, and other loads are wired to the other hot leg, then the loads are already balanced even though both A/Cs are on one leg. If you are on 30 amp service it would not matter any way.

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I just discovered yesterday that both of my ACs were on the same leg (see the recent thread on balancing loads) and I simply switched the second AC over to the second leg, which turns out to be the way my trailer was originally engineered to be. Someone at the factory made a mistake and swapped the breaker for the second AC with the electric element of the water heater. I had a 5500 watt generator, which necessitates a balanced load on the two legs or youโ€™ll trip itโ€™s breakers. You can get by perhaps with them both on one leg because you have a much bigger generator. Personally I donโ€™t feel good about a radically imbalanced load and donโ€™t see any compelling reason to have one. So I switched.

MrWizard
yes it should be on the other side
that way the panel load will be more balanced when you have 50amp shore power

for what you are doing with portable generator or 30 amp shore power campsite,
it won't make any difference , i would wait until after this trip

then move one to the other side
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s