cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Pads Rattle on G30 Replacement Brakes

grubbydug
Explorer
Explorer
Was having trouble with my front disc brakes on our 1992 Jayco Class C, built on the Chev G30 chassis.

The shop does a complete replacement of both front disc bakes and the brake pad was clicking. A slight pressure on the brakes stopped the clicking.They couldn't correct it so they replaced the caliper again... clicking continued. So, they tried another replacement caliper. Clicking continued.
So, the shop is giving up and refunding all my money... Wait a minute! I'm not about to drive this RV with that noise going on so we had a conversation. The only part that was replaced just once, when I came in with the original brake problem, was the rotor on the problem wheel. Since it seemed to me that the probability of three replacement calipers failing in the exactly the same way is roughly the same as being hit on the head by a bag of gold american eagle coins. And so, no matter how improbable it seems, the last thing to try is a different rotor. Since the rotor seems to be running true, it is like some kind of a magnetism issue. What? A localized magnetic spot of the rotor. Not likely, but is it impossible? Anyone have a similar issue with getting rid of the rattling brake pad issue?
It's driving me nuts and, I'm afraid it has ruined any semblance of confidence and tranquility in the garage. BTW, different brands of remanufactured calipers were tried. We welcome your input.
4 REPLIES 4

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cheap pas, no clips, no backing pads. Go with EBC pads and be happy.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Does you G-30 have JB7 or JB8 brakes? Using clips or pads designed for the other will prevent the anti rattle clip for working properly. Additionally, using some hardware designed for the G-10 and to a lesser degree for the G-20, will also cause this problem.

You need to make sure they are using the right parts for the right brake system for the right chassis. Verify that they have checked both the Build Codes (usually in the dog house storage compartment) and physically matching the new parts to your original parts.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
I would be willing to bet they failed to instal the anti rattle clips, plus failed to use anti rattle sealant.

DING, DING, DING! We have a winner..

As Don mentioned, the shop did not reinstall the anti rattle clips.

New pads (especially the cheaper low cost jobs that most shop will upsell you as "premium grade") often do not come with replacement anti rattle clips and or backs. Those in this case MUST be removed from the old pads and reinstalled on the new pads.

Sometimes what also can happen is the pad "ears" may be a bit on the large size and fit too tight with the anti rattle clips, shop may have discarded the clips and put the pads on without them.

Either way, the first shop you went to, failed to install the pads correctly with the correct hardware.

I often find that I MUST "fit" brake pads by grinding or filing off some of the "ears" on the pads so they fit perfectly without being too tight with the anti rattle clips.

Looked them up..

Here is pix..

The little metal clips below the pads in the pix are most likely what is missing..

Those clips do not always come with the pads, in this case, the $16 "kit" does, the cheap $7 set does not.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be willing to bet they failed to instal the anti rattle clips, plus failed to use anti rattle sealant.