cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ca emission control starting 2024

Treefrog
Explorer
Explorer
California requires a smog test for diesel RV registration starting 2024. I called my local Cummins dealer and he had no suggestions on how to bring an old design into compliance.

Have you heard of any?
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 36' 350 Cummins ISC
2015 Lincoln MKX
FMCA 351235
Look for us at Civil War Reenactments and the SCA.
38 REPLIES 38

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
vern kelly wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:

https://rvtroop.com/californias-war-on-out-of-state-diesel-motorhomes

3 tons

that doesn't seem all that bad, they just "have to have working emissions systems" from what I read. So, anyone who has modified their unit would be in trouble, but a well maintained and operating unit should have no issues. The problem is how are they going to enforce it, do they set up spot checks at the border? or is it just if you get pulled over for something else, they can look under the hood, which opens it up to a whole bunch of new issues. Is the police officer a trained mechanic and so on? I don't know why you guys haven't voted CARB out yet. they are, overstepping in gas engine emissions.

One problem is that "CARB" headed by Mary Nichols is appointed by the Governor (not voted in). They are a very powerful agency here in Californie, supported by the Governor and most of the legislature. Many other states are adopting their laws and policies as well. Small engines will no longer be sold new next year for gardening equipment including chain saws. So far RV dealers are still offering generators, but not sure where that is headed.

As far as getting your Motorhome RV smogged; only a few places are big enough to do this work and they tend to charge a premium for the service. Example for a 2002 24 ft Mini Winni class C on a ford E450 chassis gas V10 was 120$ American a year ago. I just smogged a 1988 Mustang and that was 128$ American. Registration fee is 149$ American and that is the minimum fee for a car! Gas cars older than 6 years have to be smogged every other year to register. New gas cars even pay a 20$ smog abatement fee every year on the registration! Later model cars and trucks that are OBD2 are less to smog but still 60$ and up. Classic cars and trucks prior to 1974 are fully exempt and pay 149$ American for registration unless it's a pickup where you have to pay additional weight fee.

Luv Califorie but the laws and expenses are onerous. Nice word!

ya I'm pretty lucky where I work, they have "air Care" testing in the lower mainland but in the interior it's not required. so, for me when I find that old car/truck to start fixing up, I won't have that issue, but anything I am looking at is old enough for an exemption in Calli anyways.

You know to be honest a ban on rv generators wouldn't bother me in the least, it would actually make camping more enjoyable not hearing them anymore, but that's just me. I realize that down their people have to run AC's for me if I stay around home, I do but I can always go into the mountains or down to the coast where it is cooler. I know here they just keep reducing the hours you can run them hoping people just switch to solar.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Correction on my post: 1975 and older model years are exempt from smog in Cali. Part of the reason values are going up fast for these cars. Time to restore that early Dodge class C!
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a friend in Lake Havasu. Idaho you can register under a LLC and keep in Ca. for as many days as you want.
When they smog my Duramax they plug it into the computer and check underneath for all the original exhaust parts. One time a man inside revved it up while another watched the exhaust.
That seemed so sophisticated and thorough.:@
BIL had what is called the Motorsports exemption for awhile.

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Well looks like Generator bans start in 2028, but you can buy one out of state and bring it in?

Oh My!
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:

3 tons

that doesn't seem all that bad, they just "have to have working emissions systems" from what I read. So, anyone who has modified their unit would be in trouble, but a well maintained and operating unit should have no issues. The problem is how are they going to enforce it, do they set up spot checks at the border? or is it just if you get pulled over for something else, they can look under the hood, which opens it up to a whole bunch of new issues. Is the police officer a trained mechanic and so on? I don't know why you guys haven't voted CARB out yet. they are, overstepping in gas engine emissions.

One problem is that "CARB" headed by Mary Nichols is appointed by the Governor (not voted in). They are a very powerful agency here in Californie, supported by the Governor and most of the legislature. Many other states are adopting their laws and policies as well. Small engines will no longer be sold new next year for gardening equipment including chain saws. So far RV dealers are still offering generators, but not sure where that is headed.

As far as getting your Motorhome RV smogged; only a few places are big enough to do this work and they tend to charge a premium for the service. Example for a 2002 24 ft Mini Winni class C on a ford E450 chassis gas V10 was 120$ American a year ago. I just smogged a 1988 Mustang and that was 128$ American. Registration fee is 149$ American and that is the minimum fee for a car! Gas cars older than 6 years have to be smogged every other year to register. New gas cars even pay a 20$ smog abatement fee every year on the registration! Later model cars and trucks that are OBD2 are less to smog but still 60$ and up. Classic cars and trucks prior to 1974 are fully exempt and pay 149$ American for registration unless it's a pickup where you have to pay additional weight fee.

Luv Califorie but the laws and expenses are onerous. Nice word!

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Treefrog wrote:
enforcement is via registration; vehicles must pass an emissions test or they not be registered.

the article was talking about out of state motorhomes, not instate registered ones as that is already a thing.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Treefrog
Explorer
Explorer
enforcement is via registration; vehicles must pass an emissions test or they not be registered.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 36' 350 Cummins ISC
2015 Lincoln MKX
FMCA 351235
Look for us at Civil War Reenactments and the SCA.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Enough of this, no resolution is possibleโ€ฆ:)

3 tons

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:

3 tons

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
โ€œAs of now it's just a proposal and they are only targeting big rigsโ€โ€ฆReally??โ€ฆYour continuing non-factual based opining kinda reminds me of Voltaireโ€™s renowned satirical classic, โ€˜Candideโ€™ ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Candide-by-Voltaire

3 tons

Sorry I read the article wrong, I thought the bill was introduced on that date and was still going for regulations. but the rest is true where most rigs that age are already done age wise. part if it is why they pick years that have a small number of units operating so there isn't much backlash.

Why do you start bringing up motorhomes when this is about big rigs? I will read that one, but I don't see what they could do given the US stat laws and if your legal in your state your legal everywhere else type rules, unless you guys have been lying to me ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œAs of now it's just a proposal and they are only targeting big rigsโ€โ€ฆReally??โ€ฆYour continuing non-factual based opining kinda reminds me of Voltaireโ€™s renowned satirical classic, โ€˜Candideโ€™ ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Candide-by-Voltaire

3 tons

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Treefrog wrote:
California regulations have no exemptions or lower standards for older rigs.

Actually yes, they do, the testing is based on the output of that model. so, a 2008 car doesn't have to meet the same standards as a 2023 model, they test to the design and laws of the year.

I know with big rigs there were companies building brand new rigs with older rebuilt engines (called gliders) that would get around the emissions laws and testing as they technically were registered as a 1990ish due to the motor. in fact, all vehicles manufactured before 1976 do not even require a smog check in California. and there is a bill looking to change that to 1983 I believe.

Got it, so the thousands of diesel engines were not needlessly destroyed and replaced by regulatory fiat, correct- lol!!โ€ฆ,So I suppose (based on cherry picking) that weโ€™re to believe these folks replaced their engines merely outta good willโ€ฆ

On the other hand, maybe news of this event didnโ€™t make it above the 45th parallel ??

โ€œMove along Sir, thereโ€™s nothing here to seeโ€โ€ฆ

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1138461_california-ban-diesel-big-rigs-pre-2010-engines

3 tons

ya that will be interesting they tried that a few years ago but it got lost in the pandemic. As of now it's just a proposal and they are only targeting big rigs, like I said, personal vehicles over a certain age are exempt. I think they will be opening themselves up for major lawsuits unless existing registered ones are grandfathered in, and they just ban new registrations. If you look at it though, that's a 23-year-old truck. No large company is running something like that on the highway to make money so it's most likely a small section of the market and more of a look at what we are doing move by CARB to make it look like they're actually doing something.

even then people will get around it by opening up an LLC in Oregon and register their trucks in Oregon and continue doing trucking in Cali
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Treefrog wrote:
My reading of the regulations is that there is one standard for all engines to meet. I personally didn't see the language you speak of; do you have a section and subsection of that rule you can refer me to? Thank you.

if you think about it an engine produced in 1985 (let's say a ford 5L for an example) was designed to a certain environmental standard which was the mandate at the time. Now let's jump to that same 5L in the lait 90's. the mandate then was tighter for enviormental requirements so along the way ford would have had to redesign a few things to make that 80's 5L meet emissions standards in the lait 90's. now is it fair that that 80s 5L you have in your mustang would have to meet the same emission standards as that 98 mustang? not at all, that why when they do air care, they punch the year/make/model/engine and everything else into the system before they start the test then they either pass or fail on the requirments for that time. so, it might not be engine by engine exactly, but it might have max levels for each year then maybe engine class will have varables ie.gas vs diesel
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2007 F250 6.0 PSD and live in California. I've had to do a smog on my truck since I bought it new every two years. Here's a link to BAR ....Smog 2023

Carb board keeps changing the rules so see their website if your diesel is over the 14500 GVWR you guys have some different rules to go by.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog