cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable TV surge protection

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Do most folks use an in-line surge protector on their cable tv coax cable? If so, where are you connecting it to ground?
23 REPLIES 23

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing will protect from a direct hit on the cable, (or AC supply for that matter) You get surge suppressors for near hits, which can run a spike up to a couple of thousand volts.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nope, never heard of one, and most likely wouldn't have one if I had heard of it. come to think of it, we don't have one at home either.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
So maybe they donโ€™t have scattered thunderstorms that pop up quickly in the desert south west..
All the time, but not so quickly you can't unplug. Good luck finding a surge protector that's good to a few hundred thousand volts.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
So maybe they donโ€™t have scattered thunderstorms that pop up quickly in the desert south west. Personally Iโ€™m not sure anything really will protect the coax if the cable is struck by lightning unless you unplug from the post. PIA.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh Jees.. for lighting unplug. Everything.

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
2oldman wrote:
First I've heard of this. Where would a surge of power come from in a coax cable?
Lightning, I would think.

Yes, Have lost a tv and and a desktop over the years from nearby lightning coming in the coax cable.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
First I've heard of this. Where would a surge of power come from in a coax cable?
Lightning, I would think.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't when in an RV park...rare.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad