cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I just dump?

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
I have HWH computerized leveling system with a manual dump button on my Class A diesel pusher. If I am on a level campsite can I just dump the air and NOT extend the jacks? I'm concerned that a jack may not retract while in a remote location so was wondering if I could leave the jacks retracted and JUST dump the air. Do any of you do this as a matter or routine? Thanks....
15 REPLIES 15

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
All I could afford wrote:
Did anyone else click this thread thinking it was going to be a discussion about waste holding tanks?

I did. I love black tank issues.

Easy "fix" for misleading thread subject/s:

Reply as to what *you* think the question means...........

Of course you "can just dump"!!!..:R

But - first be sure you have securely connected your sewer hose to the appropriate designated dump facilities!.. :S

..:W

MrWizard
can't argue with Doug about in the shop

the jacks do not support the slide out
they support the RV

however i would not want to 'air down' and extend slides with no jacks for leveling

then sit on the sofa and watch TV in with RV leaning to one side,

lets not forget, possible LP absorption fridge damage if OFF level

to the OP, if you air down, no jacks, slides out and be level enough for the fridge, then i'm 'guessing' maybe no harm will be done
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You do not have to have "solid" footing to extend the slides. As long as the site you are on is level enough for comfort, you can extend the slides. 20 years ago when slides made their appearance, very few Motorhomes had Jacks. BUT, Dealers and OEM's found out that when on the dealers lot and the slides were extended, the RV's leaned to the slide out side and were NOT level enough and looked horrible. So, they started installing Jacks as standard equipment on Motorhomes with slides. Others did the same because MOST buyers wanted the Jacks and be able to level the motorhomes. Somewhere, because some OEM's state to level then deploy the jacks AND others state to deploy the slides and then level, people got the idea that NO jacks was a BAD thing when deploying the slide rooms. Not so. Now, if the chassis is obviously twisted due to holes or extremely uneven ground, then extending the slides would not be a good idea. I NEVER deploy jacks when extending the Rooms in our shop. Been doing that for almost 25 years and all brands and models of RV's and motorhomes. NEVER had a problem. Never have I seen a complaint on any forum about a RV'er that stated he extended his rooms without the jacks and something jammed or broke due to NO JACKS. IOW, he was told his slide problem was directly caused by no jacks extended. Doug

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
All I Could Afford AYUP Think it was a sneaky trick to catch your/our attention. JM2ยข

MrWizard
maybe the bedroom slide

i would NOT extend the LR slides without being jack leveled

thats a lot weight hanging out there, possibly throwing you off level and maybe damaging something

you did not mention slides in the OP
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I had to get a solid footing before extending the slideouts by either extending the jacks or dumping the air or both using the autolevel function. Is it safe to extend slideouts without doing one of the above?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. HWH computerized Jacks auto dump the bags anyway
2. Yes, you can dump, but WHY if not extended the jacks????
3. IF you do NOT dump the air and you extend the Jacks, the ride height arms will dump the air anyway.
4. HWH jacks can easily be manually retracted if the electronic system fails. Just read your HWH manual for manual emergency retraction. You need to know this regardless of waiting for a possible failure. Doug

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 though I was going to read a poo story.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Are you insinuating they don't title correct ? They don't !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
Did anyone else click this thread thinking it was going to be a discussion about waste holding tanks?

I did. I love black tank issues.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Teeshot1939 wrote:
I have HWH computerized leveling system with a manual dump button on my Class A diesel pusher. If I am on a level campsite can I just dump the air and NOT extend the jacks? I'm concerned that a jack may not retract while in a remote location so was wondering if I could leave the jacks retracted and JUST dump the air. Do any of you do this as a matter or routine? Thanks....

YES. Ignore other answers. The bags don't fully collapse, they just collapse to the built-in stop. I have only been doing it for about 20 years when it was appropriate so I may not know what I am talking about.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
i'd be more worried about damage to the air bag system
than a jack getting stuck

Agreed. What causes air bag failure (other than age) is when they have no air in them and they contact the stools when the suspension articulates.

My bags always have at least 5 psi in them. The compressor maintains 5 psi all the time.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MrWizard
i'd be more worried about damage to the air bag system
than a jack getting stuck
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s