cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian TV in Florida

ian_c
Explorer
Explorer
After another winter without cdn hockey on tv I'd really like to find a solution! I thought I had it with Shaw Direct but now I gather it's not going to be possible to get satellite coverage in the near future.
Perhaps someone can set me straight on this?

Many thanks!
Go Leafs G ............ oh

Ian
2011 Heartland Graystone 5th Wheel
2010 Ford F250 V10
Lovin' the lifestyle - never getting enough.
22 REPLIES 22

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought legal CTV app in Kodi bypassed geo-restrictions, i.e. you could watch it anywhere?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here we go a sendinโ€™ all, and I mean all, our stuff north of the border and gettinโ€™ no hickey in return.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Finding a neighbor that can get the games and offering to buy the beer might be easier =and= cheaper, in the long run. :B

Lyle

Probably right. :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Finding a neighbor that can get the games and offering to buy the beer might be easier =and= cheaper, in the long run. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
ian.c wrote:
Thank you both! At this point, al I have is Bell Fibre which is also expensive. My neighbour in Florida had Shaw so I thought I'd look at that. I can stream but I only have a 10gb/month account, and a couple of hockey games would gobble that up quickly!
Mike, I like your idea about address spoofing and I think I know someone who can set that up for me. Many thanks!

I'm not familiar with Bell Fib(r)e? Is that their internet streaming TV offering? If so, the setup is probably similar to Shaw's Free Range, and likely it's got the same restrictions for border crossing.
You should be able to access it from anywhere on the planet as long as the IP address looks "Canadian".
If you're staying in a park in FL, and they include the wifi, or even cable internet, you won't be using your own home bandwidth. Maybe that was confusing you. I just suggested you try to get the internet streaming at home, to test whether you can get it to work. I'm on Shaw Direct and I get Free Range (for free) anywhere I can get logged into my Shaw Direct customer account. I've used it at home (briefly) on my phone and on my laptop, so I know it works for me.
When you get to FL and get online, you can probably stream live TV on some fairly slow connection speeds. I have the lowest speed at home, and I can get most of the live channels fairly well. No jitter or pixellating.
Either way, good luck with it.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

ian_c
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both! At this point, al I have is Bell Fibre which is also expensive. My neighbour in Florida had Shaw so I thought I'd look at that. I can stream but I only have a 10gb/month account, and a couple of hockey games would gobble that up quickly!
Mike, I like your idea about address spoofing and I think I know someone who can set that up for me. Many thanks!
2011 Heartland Graystone 5th Wheel
2010 Ford F250 V10
Lovin' the lifestyle - never getting enough.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
ian.c wrote:
After another winter without cdn hockey on tv I'd really like to find a solution! I thought I had it with Shaw Direct but now I gather it's not going to be possible to get satellite coverage in the near future.
Perhaps someone can set me straight on this?

Many thanks!
Go Leafs G ............ oh

Ian

If you've got Shaw Direct, you've got access to Free Range TV through them. The trick is they won't let it stream cross border, so you need a way to get around the initial IP address check.
You can try Free Range TV at home, if you've got (unlimited) internet at home. Just use your Shaw Direct account and you can sign in and access it. If you don't have unlimited bandwidth, be careful, because streaming will eat it up pretty fast.
Try it.
Once you figure out how to access it, you can either use some sort of US based IP address spoofer, to make it look like you're somewhere in Canada, or you can pay some third party for VPN access and tunnel back to Canada via that.
Unless others have a better way (free?) to spoof IP addresses in all the common web browsers? Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc.?
Or, know of a very low cost (free with large bandwidth allowances) VPN service supplier?
As I understand it.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
On the internet streaming?
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am