cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking propane tank.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I had a full 20lb propane tank sitting in my garage. I noticed a smell of propane and there was an odd noise coming from it. Turns out, the relief valve was letting propane out.

I am wondering if due to the heat we now have if it wasn't overfilled.

Do those relief valves reseat, or do they keep relieving till empty?

It is sitting outside, far from any source of flame or ignition.
19 REPLIES 19

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Which bodes the question - why do RV manufacturers use black propane tank covers?

Because the white ones get nasty looking after a few seasons. At least that's the only reason I can think of. Unless black plastic is cheaper...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JimK-NY wrote:
I have had tanks filled and then gone out into 90 degree temps. Never had an issue or venting. Recently I got a new tank, used it for a while and then disconnected the hose. It made a lot of noise and leaked propane. It soon stopped but I am going to exchange the tank anyway.

I have asked. No one seems to care about exchanging an old or defective tank that should be discarded. You also need to be careful about the tanks you get from the exchange facilities. I have had issues with tanks from Home Depot and Lowes. Tanks are often grossly out of date with no stamp indicating recertification. Dealers are not allowed to refill them. Another issue is the amount of propane in the tanks. Exchange tanks are filled to 15 pounds instead of 20 pounds. So you are paying for a tank that is only filled to 75 percent of capacity.

You have never had a problem because your tanks were filled CORRECTLY. Also, I did NOT state it always happens. I stated what "May" cause this to happen. Doug

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Swimmer, since you are in Ontario, it is my understanding that your house insurance doesn't like propane tanks stored in a garage or dwelling unit. Mine are on the trailer or in the camper or outside.
If the tank released enough propane, just a small spark could ignite and burn the garage down.
Brian

I will need to look into that. Mind you, after this, I will leave it outside.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Swimmer, since you are in Ontario, it is my understanding that your house insurance doesn't like propane tanks stored in a garage or dwelling unit. Mine are on the trailer or in the camper or outside.
If the tank released enough propane, just a small spark could ignite and burn the garage down.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If you had a relief valve suddenly pop off releasing a large amount,....even for a second or 2, I dare say the valve was defective, or sticking. They are designed to release excess propane slowly as is needed to keep from over pressuring, and so that the propane will dissipate for safety reasons.
Even the little 1 lb bottles will bleed off slowly when refilled/overfilled.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Joe417 wrote:
I've experienced the relief valve venting on 3 occasions over the years and they didn't leak a little. They popped wide open, putting out a cloud of gas, vented for a few seconds and then closed back.

Scared the heck out of me for just a second. Never had one that leaked a little.

It may be a different method of venting I haven't seen.

This is what I witnessed too. It was a massive burst of vapor 10~12 out from the tank but only last a second.
There was nothing small about it.

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
In my LP education class, they gave an example. You fill your DOT tank at 50 degrees and full. You then go to an area that has 100 degree temps with the never used tank. Odds are the tank relief will vent. MORE so, if they did NOT fill by weight and waited for the 80% to spew. The Auto shut offs are not that reliable to prevent overfilling. Doug

PS, this is why you NEVER leave a DOT tank in your vehicle or storage of your RV. That temp rise is dramatic.

Or any enclosed space.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Which bodes the question - why do RV manufacturers use black propane tank covers?

Mine are white.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Probably the best thing to do is let it vent completely and then take it to one of those local places that exchanges tanks. Exchange it for a different tank and, if they will let you, pick one with a recent inspection date. ...

Or just steal one from a neighbor or Church.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had tanks filled and then gone out into 90 degree temps. Never had an issue or venting. Recently I got a new tank, used it for a while and then disconnected the hose. It made a lot of noise and leaked propane. It soon stopped but I am going to exchange the tank anyway.

I have asked. No one seems to care about exchanging an old or defective tank that should be discarded. You also need to be careful about the tanks you get from the exchange facilities. I have had issues with tanks from Home Depot and Lowes. Tanks are often grossly out of date with no stamp indicating recertification. Dealers are not allowed to refill them. Another issue is the amount of propane in the tanks. Exchange tanks are filled to 15 pounds instead of 20 pounds. So you are paying for a tank that is only filled to 75 percent of capacity.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

red31
Explorer
Explorer
nfpa 58 Table 4-4.2.2(a) Maximum Permitted Liquid Volume (percent of total water capacity): Aboveground Containers 0 to 1200 Gal (0 to 4.5 m3)

shows 80% @ 40F is the equivalent of 95% @ 130F

larger above ground containers have a different table as does below ground which allows for higher % fill using variable liquid level gauge and thermometer.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
In my LP education class, they gave an example. You fill your DOT tank at 50 degrees and full. You then go to an area that has 100 degree temps with the never used tank. Odds are the tank relief will vent. MORE so, if they did NOT fill by weight and waited for the 80% to spew. The Auto shut offs are not that reliable to prevent overfilling. Doug

PS, this is why you NEVER leave a DOT tank in your vehicle or storage of your RV. That temp rise is dramatic.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
should reseat https://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/FS_10202%20Pressure%20...

weigh it! this should confirm if it is overfilled.

On a cool morning, connect an appliance to it and vent more.