cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian TV in Florida

ian_c
Explorer
Explorer
After another winter without cdn hockey on tv I'd really like to find a solution! I thought I had it with Shaw Direct but now I gather it's not going to be possible to get satellite coverage in the near future.
Perhaps someone can set me straight on this?

Many thanks!
Go Leafs G ............ oh

Ian
2011 Heartland Graystone 5th Wheel
2010 Ford F250 V10
Lovin' the lifestyle - never getting enough.
22 REPLIES 22

ian_c
Explorer
Explorer
I want to send a HUGE "Thank You" to all of you who voiced your ideas. I love the idea of recording the games and then watching them after they've started but I'll need an unlimited data plan for that one. (My park has no wifi at all.) I'll also investigate Shaw Direct - that may be a more cost effective option in the end.
2011 Heartland Graystone 5th Wheel
2010 Ford F250 V10
Lovin' the lifestyle - never getting enough.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almot wrote:
Other than that, it's hard for me to understand the need to pay for basic cable or satellite plan, when most of its content is public channels that one can get free on either OTA antenna or on internet. People in the US are spoiled :), there are more free or very cheap web streaming TV plans, and more OTA channels too.
Unfortunately there are not many (any) CANADIAN channels available in USA. While I'm not a great fan of hockey, I've compared commentary between American and Canadian broadcasts of the same game and it's like you're watching a different game. For a Canuck like me, I need my satellite TV.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have Bell Fibe, you can access all your PVR recordings anywhere.

https://aliant.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/Fibe-TV-App

Could I suggest you record the games. I know you can watch them after they are finished recording. We did this winter with other shows.

You could also start recording and then go to your recordings and start watching the recorded game 30 minutes after it started. This may work. Just make sure you don't fast forward and end up watching it live.

You will need a reasonably good wifi that allows streaming.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

MrWizard
This discussion it not about USA
This discussion is about a Canuck who misses his hockey
While wintering in Florida
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
You can get VPN for $48 year subscription
Is that too much to pay to get free range TV hockey games

Yes, if it works. VPN can slow the connection down, this it its nature. I only tried a few free VPN, it slowed speed down - not much - but was very inconvenient to use, sometimes it refused to connect.

Other than that, it's hard for me to understand the need to pay for basic cable or satellite plan, when most of its content is public channels that one can get free on either OTA antenna or on internet. People in the US are spoiled :), there are more free or very cheap web streaming TV plans, and more OTA channels too.

MrWizard
Could visit Star Bucks, on game days
The VPN app and access is on the laptop

I know, not the same as sitting in your recliner with some cold ones

Gotta make sacrifices sometimes
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
MrWizard wrote:
Just need good internet service in your RV park in FL (not park WiFi)
And therein lies the problem. There is no cost effective way to get fast, unlimited and cost-effective internet for 3-4 months. Might as well get satelite.

MrWizard
You can get VPN for $48 year subscription
Is that too much to pay to get free range TV hockey games
Even if you only use it a few months, it's cheaper than satellite or cable
Just need good internet service in your RV park in FL (not park WiFi)
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I looked it up - CBC Toronto and TSN are on F1 and F2 not G1 so you should be able to get them.

Look them up for yourself here.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead and get Shaw Direct. It will be a long time before Shaw will replace their two older satellites and you are still able to get almost all of the HD programming which includes hockey on those two. I've been using it for the past eight years during the winter with no problems. When I get back home I put it on vacation for the maximum amount of time permitted which I think is 5 months.
Buy all your equipment in Canada and have it all up and running before you go to Florida again.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Isn't the NHL Network offered on Cable/Sattelite in Florida?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
There's no immediate plan to prevent Shaw Direct from being received in the US. They are actively retiring their standard definition channels so you will need an HD receiver, but there are plenty of HD channels on the two birds you can receive in FL. I don't know about hockey channels - I don't watch hockey - but you can look it up to see if the hockey channels are on G1 bird that you won't get.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
My bad, sorry - it was CBC, not CTV.

Kodi is a media center, free for download. There is CBC add-on in official Kodi repository, they are usually strict about staying legal. Works like a charm, streaming live playoffs now. Don't get too excited, this is merely CBC public broadcast streaming on the web, not a premium for-pay sports channel.

Didn't try it in the US. VPN should help with geo-restrictions if it comes to this, but I have yet to find a free VPN that works well.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with Kodi, so not sure about that. If Kodi isn't restricted across borders then it's possible. I was under the impression that copyright laws protect live TV from being transmitted without permission. It's possible that pre-recorded, non-copyrighted stuff can be viewed on 3rd party streaming apps across borders, but again, I'm not familiar with any of them.

I was suggesting a way to access (almost) live TV, like sports events (hockey games), and news channels, which are available (with a short delay, under a minute, probably for censoring language, content, etc.) from streaming websites like Shaw Free Range TV.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)